Loch of the Lowes - 2010

Thought I'd start a separate thread for the posting of news, updates, pictures etc. from the nest at the Loch of the Lowes. Now that the first chick has hatched at Loch Garten the Daily Update page is going to get too unwieldy if it is used for news from LotL as well as LG, and the "News From Other Nests" is getting pretty full as well.

• I've been out to bring in washing (nowhere near dry) and return to see Laird with another (?) fish. He is feeding one chick. Lady is gazing out to left, now her head droops again.

• I noticed that Lady was turning her head all the way around and preening the feathers on her back. Maybe she is licking dew or rain off of her back. If so, that might help relieve the dehydration. I think that ospreys can go 2-3 days without food with no ill effects, but she probably is in great need of fluids due to her illness.

• The Lady is now sitting up and  doing a bit of preening. Her eyes are still closed but she is turning  her head as if she is looking around  Wow  yesterday she was flat out on the nest . 

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Have just discovered the LG team posted this on the LG official Facebook site, at 5.38 pm Sunday afternoon. I have also copied it to the blog comments, suggesting it was sorely needed there yesterday evening!  

Loch of the Lowes - end of an era

While life on the nest continues as normal here at Loch Garten, it is with sadness that we see the other end of the spectrum at Loch of the Lowes (Scottish Wildlife Trust Reserve at Dunkeld).

The female Osprey at the site has been looked particularly unwell and weak over the last day or two. She has bred at Loch of the Lowes for 20 years and is therefore one of the oldest breeding Osprey recorded. It appears that age and the stress of breeding/migrating have now caught up with her.

The average life span of an adult Osprey (who manages to survive the annual 6000 mile migration) is 17-18 years. The female at Loch of the Lowes is in her 20’s and as such has had a very long and productive life by Osprey standards. It is never easy to watch an animal in suffering or pain, but it should be remembered that death is part of the natural cycle. In watching the birds we share the joy of the first egg being laid and the wonder of chicks hatching. We marvel at the dedication of the adults, protecting and providing for their growing family. However we must remember that as for ourselves, life is not a simple path and there are times when troubles occur and when eventually all living things must pass.

The male at Loch of the Lowes (7Y) has been wonderful, providing fish for the two chicks and has been feeding them. We all hope that he will continue to do so and that two healthy and successful chicks make it to fledging in July.

** If you intend commenting on this post or the SWT blog please remember that this is a very emotive subject for many people, so please consider your posts before commenting. **

Edit: Izzy has posted in the Diary comments to say this is NOT an official message from the LG team, but written by the team member who edits the Facebook site in his own time. It has been removed from the Facebook site to avoid confusion.   

• I came on to find her sitting looking almost normal, with the chicks beside her.  Then she rose and flapped her wings and stretched!!

• This is amazing - I came on, expecting to hear the worst this morning, and she is sitting upright on the nest, and looking around her!  Her eyes still look covered by her extra eyelid, and she is slow, but definitely more 'with it'   - I wonder if someone who posted earlier was right, and she has had some kind of bird flu....

• Just logged on and expected to find the same Lindybird.  She was showing some signs yesterday of being more with it, but looking at her now, dare we say, its a miracle and maybe it was a touch of the flu.

Chicks are by her side and preening, its heartwarming at the moment, lets hope it stays.

• She has been stretching and 'testing' her wings, although a bit wobbly, but I think she is feeling better and could even dare I say it, recover from this now.  Hope that the male brings some more fish and she can manage to eat some.