Loch of the Lowes - 2010

Thought I'd start a separate thread for the posting of news, updates, pictures etc. from the nest at the Loch of the Lowes. Now that the first chick has hatched at Loch Garten the Daily Update page is going to get too unwieldy if it is used for news from LotL as well as LG, and the "News From Other Nests" is getting pretty full as well.

• Thank you Sue C for the encouragement your post gives me. 

• Just logged on, glad to hear the chicks have been fed.

Looks the sane as yesterday at present. Lady lying in the nest, the chicks alert and looking around them. I bet they're wondering what's happened to mum.

• The chicks are now resting at the side of mum.

• Unknown said:

Annette (though you've gone).

If it helps, I wouldn't have thought quantity of food should be too much of a problem - the male will only have to feed 3 mouths, not 5 like Odin and luckily at LOTL, the fishing is right by the nest and he can keep an eye on things. 

As LOTL have suggested, the weather is likely to be more important, and there's nothing they could do about that, but the forecast looks OK for the next few days, just a few showers. Perhaps it's also lucky the Laird was so obsessed with building up the nest, as it will provide the chicks with some shelter. 

I wouldn't read too much into LOTL saying they won't intervene. They have to get specific permission for each intervention, which means they can't suggest they would intervene in circumstances which haven't arisen yet and may not do so - that is, the chicks not thriving under the care of just the male.

Tiger or Sandy R, if you see this, a question for you. I've read somewhere that OVS was once left caring for chicks after his mate died - not EJ obviously, it must have been before they first got together, or during her years at LG with Henry. He didn't cope, and the chicks were removed and rehabbed, I think by Roy Dennis, and then translocated to Rutland Water. I must get a copy of Roy's book, it might be in there, but can you confirm this? Anyway, if this is right, there is a precedent for it happening.

Been trying not to look at the LOTL webcam but can't stop myself sometimes.........sad viewing     

Had Roy's book out last night; passage on Orange  VS

"in 2005 his mate died and his two starving young were transferred to Rutland Water under licence"

From memory this was the year that they were trying to redress the shortage of females at Rutland and transferred 9 females from Scottish nests. These young birds were added

• Such a touching scene with one of the chicks right by mums head.

In and out all day so will catch up on news later in the day.

• Very touching, to me, that the staff or at least some of them, stayed up all night to keep an eye on the happenings on this nest.  The chicks are too young to understand the situation, and will obey their hunger and solicit food from the male - he seems to be coping and as has been said above, at least they are in a good position right by the loch - he can fish and return to them very quickly.  As long as the weather is not too grim, there is a lot of hope for these two chicks to fledge successfully - which of course is the outcome that their mother would have wanted.

• Morning.  10.25 - Laird brought in a fish and is feeding both chicks.  Lady is holding on and raises her head momentarily.  Weather forecast is very good for today.  Staff have kept an overnight watch and will remove Lady when she passes away to give the chicks the best chance of survival by keeping the nest clean.  So sad to see her like this after the joy of watching her return from migration but it is good to know so many people care so much about her.

• Unknown said:

Had Roy's book out last night; passage on Orange  VS "in 2005 his mate died and his two starving young were transferred to Rutland Water under licence"

From memory this was the year that they were trying to redress the shortage of females at Rutland and transferred 9 females from Scottish nests. These young birds were added.

Thanks Vespa Crabro I thought it was something like that.

I've been trying to understand the law as regards intervention and....it's complicated. Apologies in advance for any misinterpretation. 

The starting point is that throughout the UK, ospreys are classed as Schedule 1 protected birds and it's an offence for anyone to disturb their nests. I think we know why this is necessary.   

It's possible to apply for an exemption licence to carry out certain procedures around the nest, but these are very restricted - these are the details for Scotland:

http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-scotlands-nature/species-licensing/bird-licensing/

This means you are not going to get a licence for reasons like alleviating suffering or trying to save their lives. SWT, in this case, can't disregard the need for a licence - among other reasons, there are plenty of people in the anti-bird of prey lobby who would jump on any transgression and insist that they be prosecuted, which would not help their work overall.

So the game seems to be, looking for loopholes which will enable you to get a licence to do what you need to do. They've obtained a licence to remove Lady's body from the nest when she passes, on the grounds that it's for scientific analysis, when it's pretty clear that the main reason is that it will be healthier for the chicks. In the case of OVS' chicks, I'm guessing they got authority to remove them by saying they were destined for RW - i.e. the licence was given on conservation grounds.

So, all very tricky, and I guess this may be what Peter at LOTL means by "frustrations". I feel really sorry for them, caught between supporter expectations, the law and its representatives, and at the same time, having to watch the last hours of a bird they've known for 20 years.         

• Yes Sue C.  It is very clear that SWT must operate within the laws we have to protect these magnificent birds and therefore must let nature take its course although it is difficult for us all.

• Good morning all and such a sad sight.  One of the chicks came over to Lady and she briefly lifted her head as if she knew it was there.  I have to say now I hope the end will come soon for her.  She must so weak now but still clinging on.  It seems as though the Laird is doing quite well bless him after all the doubts as the beginning he has take the role of fatherhood seriously and hopefully with his care and dedication which he is showing not will enable these chicks to survive.

Margobird