Loch of the Lowes - 2010

Thought I'd start a separate thread for the posting of news, updates, pictures etc. from the nest at the Loch of the Lowes. Now that the first chick has hatched at Loch Garten the Daily Update page is going to get too unwieldy if it is used for news from LotL as well as LG, and the "News From Other Nests" is getting pretty full as well.

• Short Stuff makes even more distressing reading now as it is possible Lady will leave us leaving 2 chicks who have had the very best start in life.  All we can hope for is that the Laird will take over the feeding.

Margobird

• Lynette not good news from LOtl at all.  Just hoping that if she passes away the Laird will take over the feeding duties as it will be tragic if the 2 very healthy chicks are lost too.  I am absolutely distraught and cannot stop the tears from falling.  This is nature in the raw and there is nothing we can do.

Margobird

• Hazel b said:

New update on Blog at LotL.  Expert opinion is not good.  They have permission to remove body for autopsy when it happens, but will not intervene with chicks.

It will be interesting to see what the male will do. Mind you he has already fed the chicks so we know he can do that.

[/quote]

Tiger: as tragic as this turn of events is, it will be intriguing to see the males response - as you say he has already fed the chicks so he knows what to do.

EDIT: She has been lifting her head so fingers crossed.

• I really really hope so Margobird, Tiger said the Laird has fed the chicks already this season so fingers crossed he will do what needs to be done.  You're right about them having a great start in life, they have been 1st class parents to these lovely chicks.

• Morning original goldfinch what a sad, sad morning.  I can't stop crying and just cannot look at the cam anymore.  At least if they can remove her body and do an autopsy they will be able to find out what went wrong.  Perhaps it is just her great age but hoping that the Laird will feed the chicks as we know he has done so.

Margobird

• Welcome Dors but what a sad time it is this morning.  I think all our thoughts and prayers are with LOtL, Lady, Laird and of course the 2 beautiful chicks.  Have had to stop watching as it too distressing now knowing she is probably not going to make it.

Margobird

• Not an osprey story  but the saga of Ma, Pa and S2 at De Mortel in 2007  is also relevant. Pa had not only to be a single dad but fend off a love sick female.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x1Ak-SnLew

• Tiger -  has anyone asked - I'm sure you will know. How old is Lady please?

• Morning Cirrus.  Its so sad isn't it.  This page from BBC suggests she is 25,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8586275.stm