Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 May 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Wild horse and foal
Pryor Mountain Wild Horse Range in Montana, U.S.
U.S. government photo, labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Diane: You're a star!!  Lovely image. Had spring reached Indiana yet?

Lindybird: I'm sure more than a few adult whales snuck by at the beginning of the season when the wind made things too rough to count.  But I know a week or so ago, when the calves were coming, there was one week when nothing was counted due to the wind, so the total amount would be higher and, of course, we only count 1/3 of the day, so multiply our number by 3!.  Do sincerely hope the Bonnie's upcoming visit to vet will calm her down. I couldn't handle such messes and upsets on a daily basis.

OG: I was out in the garden futzing with the irrigation and found - hurray! - the reason why some aren't working well: A  leak in a buried part of the hose. Fixed that, unplugged another emitter and am waiting to see how they behave.  What water feature did you set up?  We saw an Oriole at our fountain two evenings ago - first one we've spotted splashing about.

Following Diane's horsey theme, here's a photo of Ms. D taken during family's recent visit - that's her pony Savannah! She can ride him at a good trot!

And here she is in her cowboy hat!

• Thanks Diane for starting the new week. What a beautiful pic of Mum and foal.

Not back now till Fri. We will see my Mum and Cousin later on. Cousin is out of hosp as hopefully her blood sugars have been sorted.

• Diane: That is a beautiful photo you found.

Anette: Love the outfit!

Well, what a good day yesterday! Got up with news of chick 1, then completed the automatic garden irrigation – a considerable time saver, and finally managed to christen the barbecue. It can't come much better than that. Hic!

A project that was officially opened in our village last weekend Is called the 'Orchard'. It is a space of waste land in the centre which, with help from volunteers and support from many local businesses, has transformed it. It is now home to a wide range of rare and little known apple and pear trees. With bench seats to sit for a while, it is a quiet place to spend some time and relax.

• Hello Everyone. I have been busy with daughter selecting a wedding dress, which normally should take 6 months to have made, but for quite a few hundred pounds more, will be made in time for the wedding !! Daughter did look beautiful though :-))
    Next, we have done a tour of venues for the reception. Looks as if we will have to settle for a lovely hotel / restaurant, which can only seat 100 guests for the meal and the rest will have to wait until the evening entertainment and buffet. Everywhere is, obviously booked for weddings already.
    Trying to catch up with all your news and the bobblehead news.

Diane, Thank you for starting the week, especially with such a lovely pic.

Annette, Love your photographs of Miss D and her pony. Looks as if she is going to be as tall as you.

Keith, Your orchard sound idyllic. Surprising what people can achieve for everyone to enjoy.

Linda, Sorry that Bonnie is still trying to dig for oil in your lawn. Good luck for tomorrow, when she has the op and she has to wear the lampshade. 

AQ, I do hope you are getting some relief, post the injections. 

Must go and have lunch now. Back later.

• Keith - Glad to hear how much you enjoyed yesterday - hope you have more of the same, today!  It sounds really sensible to me, to set up a watering system as it can be a very time consuming job in summer. And your village's 'Orchard' is a wonderful idea - hope you all get to enjoy it for a long time.

Brenda -  So pleased to see that your daughters weddings dress is now sorted. One headache out of the way! And the reception idea is very common now, with the young people having so many friends and contacts - our Youngest did the same, and about another 30 friends turned up for the evening 'do' ~ we laid on a late buffet as well as the meal we'd had in the afternoon, to make sure everyone was fed. All very successful.

Annette -  Loved the pics of MissD!  She looks as if she knows her way around the horses. What a little smasher!

OG - Hope you're feeling better now, you sound as busy as ever.

• Been out for a walk - it was bright but cold when we started, then it slowly got warmer. It's still too cold to sit in the garden, though.  

Had major sort out in our bedroom, so that the drawers can be put to different uses: I had holiday clothes in one, and am putting them all in a suitcase in the loft, to be got out when needed. Now my OH has somewhere to put his many sweaters instead of draping them over the banisters!

• .......Just come back on, as realised that I forgot to say how lovely the picture was which DIANE used to start the thread. And thanks for starting us off again, Diane!  XX

• Morning all:

dibnlib: Hope you have a good trip (but you've probably left already).

KeithG: What a lovely used of waste land. Are they what some people call "heirloom" pears and apples? Sounds like anyone could come by pick them.... Congrats on the auto irrigation. When we had our garden redone, we had several automated drip irrigation lines installed (drip is recommended here coz we have so little rainfall). The experts claim that they water only the plant and not the surrounding areas. Trouble is, the water goes straight down under the emitter, so while the plant may put down one or two deep roots, it doesn't spread out at all and ends up looking puny.  I've actually replaced many of my drip emitters with little spray nozzles. But lack of water wouldn't be a problem for folks in the UK most of the time.

BrendaH: Sounds like some expensive days out for you and daughter. Will she be able to wear the dress afterward?

Morning Lindybird!

Off for breakfast with daughter, who is sounding harrassed already.....

• ME & SAVANNAH, SAVANNAH & ME

I'm standing here so proudly
    In my cowboy boots and hat:
    My pony knows I love him,
    He is quite sure of that.

He surely seems to love me, too -
    He's waiting for his treat.
    I have one in my pocket -
    He thinks that's kind of neat!

It's a love affair which started
    From the moment that we met -
    Whenever we are parted,
    He knows I won't forget.

He waits there in the paddock
    For when I finish school -
    He knows I'll be there quickly,
    I run there, as a rule!

However many times I fall in love
    With others, brash and bolder
    However oft I give my heart
    To a handsome guy who's older:

I'll not forget my first love ~
    To him, my heart stays true.
    My dearest, brave Savannah,
    My love belongs to YOU!!

• I will be off the threads for a couple of days -  right after I wrote the above, we had an almighty drama when Bonnie caught and eventually, after a fight, and a chase, killed a baby Blackbird in the garden.  It took two of us to get it off her and my OH had to put it humanely to sleep afterwards.

I am tired and upset:  I am OK but just need to rest now.