Loch Garten Nest Cam - Audio

Hi everyone. Last week I visited Loch Garten to see the ospreys and am now glued to the nest cam. I have a "techy" question which I hope someone can answer - although I have a fast and powerful laptop, the audio from the Loch Garten nest cam is very sporadic: occasionally get to hear chirps/calls, but not a continuous audio stream and contains lots of electronic clicks. Any clues?
  • Keith the stream from this site is renowned for its technical problems. Essentially the infrastructure is complicated because of the environment and the overall lack of broadband capacity in the area.

You will no doubt have seen the quality of the images in the visitor centre but regretfully there is insufficient capacity to stream that quality to the wider world.

• Many thanks Mike. As an acoustics engineer I know that impulsive sounds (like chirps and squeaks) require high digital sampling rates to reconstruct high fidelity sounds - so I was not optimistic of a solution. Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) technologies are pretty advanced, but lowering sampling rates always reduces quality and fidelity. There's still loads of joy in the video data - fingers crossed for EJ, Odin and their brood.