THE LOCH GARTEN OSPREY GABFEST FOR MAY, 2016

I think I will start MAY, 2016 quite simply with a current snippet of the LOCH GARTEN NEST with EJ quietly incubating her three eggs.

• JUNE - A rather tragic accident at your local zoo. I am sure the zoo staff are devastated and an awful decision to make but then the boys safety has to be considered and probably the correct decision.

There was no evidence that Harambe was harming the boy or would have harmed him but was at risk as he was being dragged away.

It is such a set back as Cincinnati has the highest number of births of Western Lowland Gorillas in the US.

Harambe was 17 year old and had come to the zoo in 2014 as part of a breeding programme having been born in captivity in Texas.

• Good morning all. June i loved your last post found it very interesting and also touching.

Bobble heads at LG are growing so quickly also Manton Bay. Not surprising with both being such good providers!

• Hopefully I am up to date with the ospreys.

I was away working in Kent last week and away again to Greece on Tuesday.

However when I get back I have a job at Market Harborough including a free weekend during the visit.

Well Rutland Water is only just over 20 miles away so I will spend the weekend at and surrounding Rutland Water checking a few ospreys out.

It will be my first visit since 2013 when 1J - 2J and 3J were on the nest and the last season we saw 5R. Looking forward to this visit.

•   Looking for news of the gorilla incident, to my delight I stumbled across a live telecast of the 100th running of THE INDIANAPOLIS 500.  This auto race and the Louisville KENTUCKY DERBY horserace are sports events of International interest that I consider Local.

• in   The Derby never held any interest for me but always I followed the Indy 500 and had a desire to go see it.  Finally in the 70's I was able to be there "up close and personal" for 3 or 4 years in a row..  At least as close as I would ever want to be!!! These photos are all from today's race, or so the website said.

•  This is a breathtaking sport.  Just the startup hum (or roar) of the engines starts my blood to boiling and the adrenaline flowing. I haven't followed it much lately and was thrilled to find it today. This is the winning car.  Can't find a picture yet of the Winner, who is from California.  

This is an American event and I am very glad that an American won it.

• KEITH, Thank you for your news about the tragic events at the Cincinnati Zoo and the excellent picture of Harambe.  Many people get very emotionally attached  to individual zoo  animals just as some osprey watchers get attached to particular osprey.  I'm sure many people are grieving today.  And all of us who love animals  have to feel hurt to see the end of such a magnificent animal. The fact that Harambe is an endangered species makes it all the more tragic.

• I have complete confidence in the Cincinnati Zoo and would never second guess or criticize their decision to kill one of their highly valued animals.  But I did wonder Why not a tranquilizer?  They have answered that question here in detail.

www.facebook.com/.../10154082080110479  

If you re interested in this situation, read some of the replies to the article. I was somewhat surprised at their consistency.

•  Looks like the beginning of a lovely Scottish day with the sun chasing away the mist from the trees, while  EJ quietly cares for her chicks.  The first one is much too big and steady on his feet to be called bobblehead.  He just wandered out into the open a moment ago.