Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 24 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

I'll be back soon to catch up with everyone.

• Thank you for the link to the story of George, Clare and all the photographs. A really wonderful read.

• The sun continued to shine, although there is still that cold wind: we took ourselves off to Glaslyn to have a glance at how the nest is doing there (Mrs G was sitting happily on her two eggs, and they are hoping for another egg in a few days - she did lay one previously to the males arrival, but she abandoned it).

There were a scattering of people there, some left as we arrived but it was a beautiful scene with the snow capped mountains in the distance. One of the volunteers was telling me how he had missed seeing the Otter who appeared on the river in front of the viewing platform, but that several people had been lucky enough to see a Kingfisher lately who has been fishing there.

We then drove on to the coast, with a short stop at Te**o for bread & newspapers. When we reached the large beach at Blackrock Sands, it started raining! :-( - but as we love it there we paid to drive onto it (five pounds!!) and let our crazy dog run around and wear herself out. It was only drizzle, so we weren't really wet, but it was annoying  to find when we returned back to base that the sun was still shining there. My OH has been doing small maintenance jobs & I've been catching up on my reading. Cooked a steak & onion meal tonight, so over full now!

• OG - Sorry you've had to suffer with your sore eye, and it spoiled your plans - hope the drops work. Enjoy your trip, say hello to The Kelpies for me, I'd love to see them.

Brenda - Sorry about the death of your friend, how sad.

Must go and wash up.....Will look in later to see Clares link. 

• Clare- Loved the story of George. Thanks for sharing!

• Glad your new job is going well Clare. I did enjoy the Stork story.

It has been fairly sunny today, though still chilly. Better than the snow we had a few days ago!The forecast is for rain and wind tomorrow though, a shame as a friend has a garden opening for the NGS.

I also do use Skype to chat with family members, all living at varying distances away. The furthest is in Devon. So next best thing to an actual visit.

• Linda, This is what Ashleigh ( BGGW ) said tonight about Mrs G laying a further egg.

" 19:50 - Ashleigh C : I am not sure that she will lay another egg. No matings have been observed in the visitor centre diary after Tuesday. Aran attempted to mate her on Thursday but she did not appear to be receptive to him.
    19:51 - Ashleigh C : I would need to check the protection diary to see whether they have recorded any. They are watching and monitoring 24/7 there.

20:04 - Ashleigh C : Technically Mrs G has laid three eggs,although she rejected the first one. Possibly she knew it was not fertilised so did not want to bother investing time in it. " 

Mrs G laid her first egg only six days after Aran returned. Pleased to hear that you got to Glaslyn, in spite of the drizzle. 

• Just read George's story, Clare - wonderful!  Always heart warming to hear about people who are willing to go an extra mile to help a wild animal :-)

--  Thanks f or posting!

• Meant to say, Brenda - that's great news about your daughter getting her dream job. How smashing for her. 

I'm really tired, so off to zzzzz now.....

• Lovely story about the stork, Clare. Thank you for posting.What amazing people!

Brenda, very pleased for your daughter .Presumably this is the permanent post.

Annette, I can sympathise with you having to part from your sister again. It is always sad leaving family at the airport. Glad you had a great time with her and b in l.

If not too intrusive, how did you come to be living in the US? I presumed you had followed your heart. Sorry if being too curious.

I like tracking flights too. I follow the family's travels. We also do 'face time' with son and granddaughter.

I have had quite a busy few days. I spent quite a large part of yesterday in a local hospital with a neighbour. She fell at home and fractured her ankle a couple of weeks ago. She is in plaster, so needs help. Meanwhile, she is being investigated for suspected abdominal growth. Yesterday, she had been telephoned to attend for a blood test. As I feared, there was no record of this when we got there.We waited one and a half hours to see someone. A very helpful young man in haematology dept. then spent half an hour on the phone trying to find out what the test was for. He eventually found out, but in the meantime more patients were piling up behind us.Felt sorry for them, but did appreciate the young man's efforts.

Heather and Diane, hope you are enjoying time with family.

Sorry not to mention others, I like reading your news.

Enjoy your break in Wales Lindybird. It seems that Bonnie can really use up some energy there.

• The new week's thread starts here.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.