Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON (on Friday).

Last week's Chat thread is here.

I meant to tell you all this story.

Early last week, during the very high winds, I had to go north for groceries. I was unloading my shopping and struggling to walk in the gales. I saw R.T. Hawk and his pale mate (the red-tailed hawk pair) riding the thermals together.

R.T. started to glide over the creek toward town, and then he saw me watching him. He circled all the way back and flew right toward me. He turned into the wind and pumped his wings, so that he was hovering in one place right above me. He looked at me in the eyes for several seconds! Then he turned and flew on his way. I don't know what made him fly over to see me.

I haven't seen any hawk juveniles around this year.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Nokota Wild Horses on the prairie in North Dakota
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Good Morning Everyone. Dry with a white sky. A wonderful evening, walking up to light the beacon and then rather a spectacular firework display. We both thoroughly enjoyed the BBC film of the Queen and her family.

Pleased to see you are home, Annette. A more relaxing time for you now, with your sister and BiL.

I do hope Clare will be happy in her new job.

Thinking of OG and her painful hand. You really should take a rest from all the gardening.

Lovely photographs, Linda, especially those of your grandchildren. 

• Sorry I seem to have missed Heather leaving - I had in mind that she would be off over the weekend. I hope they have a pleasant time.

Sounds lovely, Brenda, your description of yesterday.  I love fireworks!   I had to laugh at poor Matthew's reaction to seeing his cake on fire!  - He burst into tears immediately.  I was pleased with the pic of Tomasz blowing out the candles, as it lit up his face as he leaned in.  I am trying to keep some pictures on one side each time I print the best ones, to make each a little album of their first few years. They grow so fast!

Sunny here now.  Yesterday I risked having the conservatory door open, and Bonnie obliged by bringing in a plastic tub of hyacinths which I had discarded, meaning to plant them into the borders.  She then chewed them on the carpet...... bulbs, roots, dirt, chewed black plastic pot and all..... Thank goodness for hoovers.

Today she is being Watched Closely..... so far she is chewing the top off a bamboo cane, the bit of plastic you put on them so that you don't poke your eye out.

• Hi!  Well, the weather hasn’t yet changed to wet, although there is more cloud and breeze today. But we’ve run out of garden jobs for me.  OH is scarifying and mowing this afternoon, intending to finish before weekend rain.  So I shall make some overdue replies for the last three days.

Heather – how lovely that your OH could hear the Chaffinch sing; he must miss those natural sounds as his hearing deteriorates.  Not sure what spices had been used in the parsnip and sweet potato soup; there was a suspicion of something, but not as flavoursome as most of my own soups!  You will have a busy time, with your Brother arriving soon after your journey home, and then the Danes after him; do take care not to get too tired.  Sorry I missed you setting off this morning – I assume you will read this later.  Have a wonderful time with your Son and family – especially young Sam!

Brenda – I am sure you and the others bowlers will be glad to be back out on the greens next week – as well as enjoying the deep-cleaned clubhouse.  Thanks for the update from Margo; pleased she felt strong enough to chat; I hope she will manage a meal out this weekend..

Chrisy – I did do a bit too much gardening on Wednesday, but the hand problem is a flare-up of the arthritis, which just gets aggravated using trowels etc (it doesn’t like door handles either); I think I shall have to have another injection in it soon, but am avoiding seeing the inside of hospitals for a while!  So glad you got up to Whinlatter, especially having to do the extra mileage while the A591 is closed.

AQ – so pleased you and friend had a good trip, and are planning more now that autumn has arrived.

Linda – you really have been busy with all your sorting out of kitchen and paperwork, and then the photos.  I liked the picture of the Welsh Bunny, and the Swan family.  Lovely photos of your Grandchildren too, especially Amber in the box!

Clare – I hope the new job has started well for you!

Lynette – sorry your OH’s ear is so painful; I hope it will soon feel a lot better and that all will be well when he sees his doctor next week.

Annette – good to see that you and your guests have safely arrived for the more relaxing part of their time with you.  I hope you found all well with your OH and Lightning!

As you know, we have been busy gardening for a few days, and very pleased at the tidying-up and “rationalising” we have done; I have been trying to better co-ordinate the way various pots are distributed as they have all been so haphazard up to now.  We did go out yesterday evening, to a talk at the Museum about “Fishing on the Solway” – an ancient but continuing occupation here, albeit smaller than in its heyday.  It was too hot to water various plants under cover before we went, so OH was out there later, doing it by moonlight!

OH just reported that one of our (lovely) birds has pooped on the duvet cover which was out on the whirligig, so it’s now back in the washing machine.  Looks as if weekend may not be wet here after all, so I shall have to decide whether to save it to risk pegging outside again tomorrow!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good evening, all!  What a good day it's been - the new job has started well, and when I left off it was straight to Minsmere for the afternoon Reception shift.  It's lovely to be back to work!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• CLARE - Wow; you are keen!  Pleased it was a good day.

• Just in from garden - OH has the hosepipe out because of lack of rain, so I used cans for the things in greenhouse, mini-greenhouses and cold-frames.  I suppose S**d's Law says it will now rain overnight or tomorrow morning!

Going to a coffee morning tomorrow, then church on Sunday - no other plans for weekend.  Hope everyone has a good one!

• So glad your first day went well, Clare.

OG - You both sound well ahead of yourselves for the gardening season to come.

It's nice to hear from you, Chrisy.

I've been very busy in lots of ways, I must have Spring Fever!  But a lot of clearing out is necessary here. I just seem to accumulate things- I blame the Waste Not Want Not culture of the post war years. My poor mother wasted nothing, and passed the ethic on to me. Now I've started worrying about my poor d.in.laws having to clear out all my clutter, if anything happens to me (&/or my OH!)

I did come on & post some of my pics, but I've had a job keeping up with the posts on here, so hope I've not forgotten anyone. 

We're off to see our grandchildren in the Midlands tomorrow, just for the day. I've made a marbled sponge cake, so I'm off to ice it now.

• Good Morning All ---  Sunny here, and a dry day forecast, although a bit chilly.  Hopefully we'll have a good days travel.

Bye for now, have a nice weekend.

• Good morning, all.  A very happy St George's Day to everyone!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.