Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON (on Friday).

Last week's Chat thread is here.

I meant to tell you all this story.

Early last week, during the very high winds, I had to go north for groceries. I was unloading my shopping and struggling to walk in the gales. I saw R.T. Hawk and his pale mate (the red-tailed hawk pair) riding the thermals together.

R.T. started to glide over the creek toward town, and then he saw me watching him. He circled all the way back and flew right toward me. He turned into the wind and pumped his wings, so that he was hovering in one place right above me. He looked at me in the eyes for several seconds! Then he turned and flew on his way. I don't know what made him fly over to see me.

I haven't seen any hawk juveniles around this year.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Nokota Wild Horses on the prairie in North Dakota
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• OG - A shame about the local NTS group - it seems like a lot of volunteer groups have the same problem. Certainly, here, the same. One thing that we noticed was that sometimes, younger, enthusiastic members were 'put down' by the old timers. These types wanted everything to be done the way it had always been. So the new members quickly got fed up and who can blame them? I was unpaid Secretary for a Scottish national charity and believe me, it was so frustrating because of this very thing. So much talk and dissent, so little achieved.

I am curious about the sweet potato and parsnip soup! Would there have been a spice or something used? It just seems that with two sweet vegetables, something would have been needed?

AQ - I'm sorry that your arthritis has been triggered by your hand injury. Hope that the anti inflammatory drugs continue to help. Thinking of you.

Also thinking about ANNETTE as she enjoys the company of her sister and BiL. Look forward to hearing all about it and hope that Lightning behaved during her absence :-)

My brother is now not as sure about his dates, no doubt we will hear soon...

• Morning all:  Quick look in.

Clare: Yay! So very pleased to hear your good news. Congratulations!  And happy to hear that Minsmere time will not be affected. Thanks for pix of Caerlaverock.

AQ Enjoy your day out - bakeries and old buildings sound like a great combo.

Brenda: Thanks for the update from Margo. Hope she'll continue to feel better.  Viral vs. virus? Perhaps you meant viral vs. bacterial?

Heather: Good you're happy with your outfit, which sounds versatile.

OG: Sorry to hear about the closing of your local NTS support group; that's a shame.

We waved bye-bye to Prescott Valley contingent and arrived in Palm Springs just after lunch. Very hot, relaxing, quiet at this quaint little historic hotel not far from the center of town.  Will be off to explore on-site breakfast soon.  Sister and BiL are thinking of taking the aerial tram to the top of San Jacinto today; not sure whether I'll go along or not.

Take care all.

• Just popping in after reading paper online with the sad news Victoria Wood has died at 62. She always made me laugh....

• Oh WENDY, not another? We have lost so many well known people in the last twelve months or so -

• I'm really cut up about this loss -- far too young, and so much talent.

• Nice pics, OG - love the cormorant.

• Unknown said:
    Yay! So very pleased to hear your good news. Congratulations!  And happy to hear that Minsmere time will not be affected.

Thanks, Annette!

Unknown said:
    Thanks for pix of Caerlaverock.

Those were taken by OG.  They're beautiful, aren't they?  I love cormorants!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Beautiful day. I have been at the bowls club, cleaning the clubhouse, with a group of lady members, before the start of the season next week. The men did all the heavy work last Monday, including shampooing all the carpet. It was good to also catch up with people I haven't seen since the close of last season.

OG, Really lovely photographs. I always remember watching a cormorant swallowing a large eel. It must have taken a good half hour and we could see the eel slowly going down the cormorant's long neck. It then took ages before the cormorant could lift itself off the water to the bank.  
    Heron's are such patient birds.
    It was mentioned by Margo, that she could have two weekly transfusions, but it hasn't happened yet. ( i.e. up to Monday evening 18th April)

Heather, Hope your OH's back heals quickly. Hopefully your brother will allow at least a few days respite for you, after the Christening, before he arrives. He may stay longer than you think !!!

• Busy gardening day - shattered and aching - having to use walking stick even indoors this evening, and hand is really sore.  So, replies tomorrow!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!