Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON (on Friday).

Last week's Chat thread is here.

I meant to tell you all this story.

Early last week, during the very high winds, I had to go north for groceries. I was unloading my shopping and struggling to walk in the gales. I saw R.T. Hawk and his pale mate (the red-tailed hawk pair) riding the thermals together.

R.T. started to glide over the creek toward town, and then he saw me watching him. He circled all the way back and flew right toward me. He turned into the wind and pumped his wings, so that he was hovering in one place right above me. He looked at me in the eyes for several seconds! Then he turned and flew on his way. I don't know what made him fly over to see me.

I haven't seen any hawk juveniles around this year.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Nokota Wild Horses on the prairie in North Dakota
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Nice to see a post from George, and to get news of Margo. Glad you had a good day, OG.   I did post about an hour ago but don't know what happened to it!

Very tired for some reason so off to bed now.  

• OG,  Margo is not due to have a transfusion this week. Her last one was on the 5th April. Of course Margo can ask for one, if she feels in need. Obviously she would need blood tests first. This cold and cough, which she has been told is viral and not a virus, has completely drained her of any energy. 

• Good morning, all.  It's a glorious day here and we're off to Swaffham Forest to see if we can see any goshawks!  Fingers crossed as this would be a first for me.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Sorry, BRENDA, I thought they had been increased to fortnightly now.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good Morning All.  Wonderful day of sunshine promised, so already have things in the wash, and hunting for more.

Dashing off to get a haircut, then hoping to do a little gardening. Will find time at some point to look at my pics from way back last Autumn, when we visited Malta - hope to show some on here.

• Yesterday's photos - Caerlaverock part 1

Barnacle Geese - there are still thousands there, but yesterday some were away in other fields, and those nearby were grazing in lines rather than clumps!  BTW, a lot of fields down towards the coast are still flooded from the earlier storms!

Moorhen

It was difficult getting pictures around the feeders, because they are in dappled shade in the woodland area.

• Caerlaverock Part 2

The Cormorant

Swallowing a fish

Drying off - it spent a good five minutes getting dry before flying off.

• Finally, Part 3

There were several Tufted Ducks about - they always look like bathtub ducks to me!

This was one of two Herons fishing - it went round the whole circumference of the pond, and then set off round again!  I don't think it was as successful as the Cormorant, who was diving in the middle!

• Good Morning

Brilliant photos, OG, I agree about the 'bath tub' ducks!

As most of you must realise I am not very knowledgeable about wildlife, but have interest. MY OH called me outside a few days ago. Being busy, I was a bit impatient (as in 'what is it now?').

He was sitting outside, resting from his garden work and said that he wanted me to listen to what he considered one of his favourite birdsongs - a chaffinch. The song must have been just at the right pitch for him to hear and he was so happy. He says that we don't get chaffinches here in our garden, very often. The bird was sitting near to top of our greengage tree, singing his little heart out.

BRENDA - I didn't remember that MARGO's last transfusion was on the 5th. Somehow thought it was longer ago. I believe that these post viral coughs can last for ages  -  some on here have had the same. It must be so much more exhausting for MARGO considering her health status. Love to you, MARGO, if you are reading this x

I hope to be back here later making more replies. Just now, about to go with OH and buy more gravel chips (or chuckies, as he calls them) to put down in front of the new fence, the bit that adjoins the side garden path. OH can't lift them easily at present, sore back.