Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON (on Friday).

Last week's Chat thread is here.

I meant to tell you all this story.

Early last week, during the very high winds, I had to go north for groceries. I was unloading my shopping and struggling to walk in the gales. I saw R.T. Hawk and his pale mate (the red-tailed hawk pair) riding the thermals together.

R.T. started to glide over the creek toward town, and then he saw me watching him. He circled all the way back and flew right toward me. He turned into the wind and pumped his wings, so that he was hovering in one place right above me. He looked at me in the eyes for several seconds! Then he turned and flew on his way. I don't know what made him fly over to see me.

I haven't seen any hawk juveniles around this year.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Nokota Wild Horses on the prairie in North Dakota
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• WELL DONE, CLARE!!

Brilliant news!  Do you know, I was talking about you only yesterday to my OH, who said "did that Accountant get herself a job yet?"  (I sometimes tell him what some of you are up to).   So pleased for you: hope its everything you wanted.

• Heather:   LOL!   I bought a lovely skirt and blouse, with a smart matching jacket, for our Youngest's wedding. The theory was that I could wear each of the separates again, sometime, and get my Money's Worth.   So I also bought a very nice light knitted top, in the same range,to go with the skirt. "Not extra expense"  I said to my OH, "As it will mean I can wear it with the skirt sometimes..."  Well, I put on weight afterward and have never been that slight again, so they are all still hanging in the wardrobe.....  11 years this June!

For our Eldests, last September, I thought I won't fall into that trap again and bought a lovely comfortable long (slightly stretchy!)  gown with smart matching light jacket top, plus a matching wrap in the same material.  Now I can wear the gown on holidays with the wrap.  Kept the little jacket just in case, though it may never be used again....  but the whole outfit cost a quarter of what I spent on the outfit described above for Youngest's.

• One of the outfits I sent to the charity shop was the dress and jacket that I wore for youngest daughter's wedding, twelve years ago. Quite apart from anything else, I thought that I am in my 71st year and the outfit was a bit flowing and a tad too youthful:-((((

Lindybird said:

Heather:   LOL!   I bought a lovely skirt and blouse, with a smart matching jacket, for our Youngest's wedding. The theory was that I could wear each of the separates again, sometime, and get my Money's Worth.   So I also bought a very nice light knitted top, in the same range,to go with the skirt. "Not extra expense"  I said to my OH, "As it will mean I can wear it with the skirt sometimes..."  Well, I put on weight afterward and have never been that slight again, so they are all still hanging in the wardrobe.....  11 years this June!

For our Eldests, last September, I thought I won't fall into that trap again and bought a lovely comfortable long (slightly stretchy!)  gown with smart matching light jacket top, plus a matching wrap in the same material.  Now I can wear the gown on holidays with the wrap.  Kept the little jacket just in case, though it may never be used again....  but the whole outfit cost a quarter of what I spent on the outfit described above for Youngest's.

• I still have the outfit I wore for my son's wedding in 2011. I really can't see that I will ever wear it again, but I can't bring myself to part with it :-))

• It was hard for me to part with the wedding outfits BRENDA. There was so much sentiment attached. Eventually I thought that maybe somebody else would enjoy them. Not an easy thing to do, though.

Unknown said:

I still have the outfit I wore for my son's wedding in 2011. I really can't see that I will ever wear it again, but I can't bring myself to part with it :-))

• Unknown said:

Fantastic!  Thank you.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Diane - thank you for starting us off and for the tale about the hawk, he obviously recognised you from before!

Clare - what wonderful news, patience paid off in the end. Well done.

Brenda - I too still have my outfit from son's wedding in 2007 , wore it the following year for our 40th but not worn it since as it doesn't look right on me (have put on some weight)!!

Same with step-granddaughter's last year, probably won't wear it again but its always worth spending a bit on an outfit for a family wedding.

Thank you for all your news so far, keeping tabs but too much to answer all even though its only Monday. Do love hearing about things though.

OH's op today went without a hitch. Dau took him in for 8am and we had a call about 10.30am to say it was all over and he was ready for collection.  Dau had the day off as she was still not feeling a hundred per cent to face a classroom of children so we went out to pick him up.    Going back to work tomorrow but still not totally clear of the virus.

• What a superb card for Clare, Diane!!  Love the corvids!

• Well done Clare, hope it is a lovely job with lovely people