Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here. I left two long posts on the end of last week's thread, and others had posts, too.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

These are endangered American White Pelicans like the ones that are waiting out the bad weather on the lake down the road from me, so they can again fly north to their breeding area.

American White Pelicans
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service government photo
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• ANNETTE   hope you enjoyed your breakfast.

Our friend came for lunch. She really enjoyed the salad with salmon terrine, smoked salmon and sweet smokey prawns. This was followed by all bran loaf. We really enjoyed her company.

• DIBNLIB you are making me feel hungry....

• Nice to hear some food related stories...  and that Annette is enjoying herself.

I did some errands, and then met my OH, who had been golfing, in the driveway. Conversation went like this  Him :  "How's Bonnie been this morning?"  Me: "She's been angelic! - She slept a lot, then followed me around in the garden!"

---  It'll take me a while to get over the shock!

• Great, LINDY that Bonnie was peaceful and non destructive!

ANNETTE seems happy, good room and breakfast:-)

OG- such lovely tubs. We don't have many Spring flowers,some daffodils are flowering but tulips are not doing much yet.

Kitchen shop was interesting. I think that we will have to make a list of features that we want, decide on cabinets and then liaise with our joiner.

OH very tired, he has been painting/staining the new fence. He has just eaten a bowl of ice cream and raspberries and I imagine he will go up to bed within the next half hour or so.

Take care, all.

• Evening all: Tucked up in bed in a restored railroad hotel (La Posada) in Winslow, Arizona.  It was due to be demolished in the late 1990s, then a couple of people bought it and spent years and years restoring it.  It's still a bona fide railroad stop for Amtrak's passenger trains and by virtue of its history - it also sits right on old Route 66 - attracts lots of tourists, even though the town has little else to brag about now, unless you're an Eagles fan and remember their 1977 hit "Take it Easy," where they sing "I'm standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona and such a fine sight to see."  Here's a link to a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhH3mRkKDX8

Anyway, sister and her OH are now tucked up in bed in Chicago (Just got a text ). Their plane was an hour late leaving Heathrow, but made up 40 minutes en route. Still I'm sure they're shattered.

Heather: Are you going to change the layout of the kitchen too or just replace cabinets, appliances, etc.?  Do you have local raspberries in season already?

dibnlib: Sounds like a very pleasant time with your friend.

I have a 4.5 to 5 hour drive tomorrow; the last leg of the eastbound section of the trip. Major change in scenery between Flagstaff and Winslow - pines and snow-capped peak at the former, desert here.  

Have a good Wednesday all.

• I drove myself to eye doc appt this morn, very carefully as wrist still sore. Dau2 sent her homemade soup home with OH after nanny duty yesterday, so that was lunch. Then OH drove me to & trailed around food shopping. I think I can manage by myself next week. Tonight we are going out to dinner, Indian. Surely I can manage onion bajji with fingers and butter chicken with spoon!

• HEATHER  when we did our kitchen, we used Howdens kitchen planner (no charge) and found her very helpful. Funnily enough my OH also had rasps and ice cream (Mackies chocolate) of supper.

As we suspected Benson has just refused his morning walk. It is very damp but not actually raining, what a wimp!!!

• Good Morning.  Started dull here, but brightening up now.

Good to know that Annette is tucked up in a nice hotel. I'm an Eagles fan, Annette, and remember that song well. Safe onward journey to you.

• Less damp and dark and warmer than yesterday, but still not very pleasant outside – although enjoying watching Goldfinch flock and Siskins flitting about and eating up the nyger seed!  Did I post yesterday?  Need to look back!

Oh, yes.  Was expecting shed man early morning; he arrived late morning, so OH missed his Carers’ Coffee after lunch – doesn’t bother him greatly as we can still get out and about together.  After his haircut, we had a leisurely afternoon before leaving J to cook himself Cajun Chicken – he found the whisky sauce and apparently it “came out of the bottle quicker than expected”!  Gardening Group was rather disorganised, and my vege pie turned out to be a macaroni pie – seems daft to me to wrap another carb in pastry, so I ate just the top pastry and all the macaroni, which was quite decent.  OH enjoyed his steak pie, and there was also some very nice fat-free fruitcake to follow.

Linda – I hope you can soon restore order in the house – probably just in time to leave for another trip to Wales!  Pleased you could give such a positive report on Bonnie’s morning – I hope the angelic behaviour has continued.

Annette – buffet breakfast including fruit would suit me too!  Pleased next leg of journey was completed – railroad hotel in Winslow sounds interesting, and mention in an Eagles’ song is a good claim to fame!  Pleased Sister and BiL are safely arrived on US soil.  Have a good journey to your meeting point.

Dibnlib – pleased you and friend enjoyed her visit; food sounds posh – I often wish I liked smoked Salmon, but only tolerate the required twice a week simple fish!  Benson ought to decide to accept a walk this morning before the rain gets heavier!

Heather – pleased you picked up some ideas at the kitchen shops; I hope the joiner can incorporate them into a sensible layout for you.  Sounds like your OH is working very hard and making the most of the drier weather there.

AQ – please take care driving with that wrist!  Don’t take any risks with it.  I hope the meal out was enjoyable and tasty – I love onion bhajis.

Having completed last week’s cleaning (due to priority of gardening) OH is now doing this week’s, majoring on bedroom, so I ought to flip a duster around in lounge and dining room.  J has happily realised what a short school term this is, and this morning has taken himself off to Carlisle again for his free Wednesday; he hasn’t yet heard whether he will be needed for scribing or invigilating in exams, which start in two weeks.  We shall be going to Bird Club in Dumfries this evening – Brian from Caerlaverock talking about “Incredible Journeys”, which I assume will cover Whoopers, Barnies and Ospreys – haven’t heard whether the Osps are back there this year, although I do know the pair at Threave have returned.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hi Everyone. I haven't posted for a few days, as the weather has been so good we have taken the opportunity to do garden work and OH also cut neighbour's grass. Neighbour is now out of hospital but unable to do anything manual. I also felt I needed a rest from the computer and watching the nests.

I rang Margo yesterday. She really is, still, so full of her cold. She said that she sleeps most of the day and night. Her OH has recovered from his cold.

Our daughter has settled on a wedding date for September, that is with the church. Reception etc still to be organised ! Says she doesn't want a big wedding, but we are waiting to find out what that really means. lol

Another glorious day here.

I need to catch up with all your posts for this week, so SYAL.