Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 10 April 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here. I left two long posts on the end of last week's thread, and others had posts, too.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

These are endangered American White Pelicans like the ones that are waiting out the bad weather on the lake down the road from me, so they can again fly north to their breeding area.

American White Pelicans
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service government photo
Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Back to our holiday:   Well, I said that the weather was somewhat lacking:  I read a lot of books!  Amongst them was one on the shelf in the apartment, which I thought Annette might find interesting, it was called "The Senator's Wife"  by Sue Miller.   About a rather unfaithful politician, and the effects of this on his family.  Sensitively and cleverly written.

Also enjoyed "Letters from Skye" by Jessica Brockmole, which was unusual in that it was all presented as written communications between an artistic girl living on the Isle of Skye during the War Years, and a young American man who of course, falls in love with her even though they have never met.  Unusual, as I said, and very well done, enjoyed it.

Also finished a book by Bill Bryson, the name of which escapes me at the moment.  I have about three more I'm trying to get around to:  love his stuff.

• Here at last, as promised are the photos of Gertie.   She is a ceramic goat, and was bought during a visit to a local Art Gallery during our holiday.  We have been to the Art Gallery before but don't usually bother if the sun is shining!  However, they do have rooms where the art is changed annually, and some of it was excellent.

When I saw Gertie it was love at first sight:  as I already have another version and although this one did not have a name, she is now Christened "Gloria" ~ Now they are together at last.   Gertie was Gertrude to begin with, but it was changed to Gertie later.

Here they are on my conservatory windowsill:

Gertie is sitting down, and Gloria (her mother or her sister?) is standing up!

My OH was quite relieved, as later on in the same week, I found much larger versions of them in a different shop - and they were of course much more expensive!

There are hundreds of goats on the island, in all colours of the rainbow.  They often have bells around their necks so that they can be found by the farmers.  When driving around, you have to be careful that they are not crossing the road.  The local goats cheese is delicious.

• Morning all: Just talked to sister and BiL and they're in last-minute packing mode and a tad frazzled. They're spending tomorrow night at their daughter's house. She has organized a smart-phone for them and is intending to show them how to use WhatsApp and Facetime; I think they're dreading it (I never use them either) and I suspect we'll just be texting as needed...  :-)

OG: Hope a good breakfast and morning at home will take care of the tiredness. Sounds busy in your garden. Spring is wonderful.

Tina: Enjoy the day out.

dibnlib: Take care of the snuffles.

Diane: So it takes 13 minutes for a signal to travel to the Kepler and back - and that at the speed of light (186,000 miles/second - the only figure I remember from science and physics classes coz I couldn't - and still can't - get my head around it!). Do hope they can fix it. I gather it had problems back in 2014  I saw that Space X finally managed a successful launch and landing of its reusable rocket - at sea, which seems so difficult. And a company I'd never heard of, Blue Origin, apparently did the same thing (on land) recently and also in 2015, which I didn't see reported anywhere. Their website is pretty modest; wonder why they've not received the same publicity as Space X (well, I guess it's the NASA connection).

Lindybird: Thanks for the tip on the Miller book, though I suspect it may pale in contrast to reality!  :-) I've been reading lots of non-fiction over the last year, but have now launched into Peter Robinson's "DCI Banks" series.

Margo: Do hope you're feeling well enough to watch the webcams. Hugs to you! 

Better get organized - though it's just a question of zipping up the suitcase without forgetting toiletry bag with all the essentials hanging in the bathroom. Will have my laptop so will check in at half-way point to Prescott point this evening.  I'm looking forward to a peaceful evening in a motel with nothing to do but surf the TV channels and read my book.  

Take care all.

• Have a great trip, Annette!  Take Care on your journey!  (don't do what a friend of mine did, and leave all your knickers behind on top of the bed when packing :-D!)

• ANNETTE   think I have read all of the D I Banks books and enjoyed them. Steer clear of " Abattoir Blues" though. I think it was a Banks but most unpleasant.  Do also try Peter James and the D I Grace books. Even better, I think there will be a new one out in June, that is usually how it goes.

LINDY love Gertie and friend.

• A little ditty, written whilst sheltering from the cold wind behind a rock, and looking at the rough sea, on our hols:

Grey Skies but Silver Linings

Gertie awoke, gazed at the sky,
    Oh! she bleated "My oh my!"
    Once again she found it grey:
    It's been this dark most every day.

Go walking and the wind will blow
    Your hair into a freaky show ~
    Your scarf will wrap you in a strangle,
    Your sleeves will even try to tangle.

The sun's not out - not even a glisten -
    There is no one who will even listen
    To all our groans that we expected skies blue
    With warmth upon our old bones, too.

No swimming in an azure sea:
    No sunbathing for you, or me.
    "Only thing is, hit the shops!!"
     ~~  In the car, and off she pops!!

• LINDA - really like Gloria and Gertie - to be kept away from Bonnie, I assume!  Sorry it was a bad-weather holiday as per poem - although I believe you had some improvement later.

Just had a big surprise reading about snow in parts of Yorkshire and Borders yesterday, and gales and floods in SW England today.  Has been a lovely day here, and really enjoyed an afternoon in the garden (with little visits indoors as needed!).  Been moving various plants along the pre-summer production line via cold frame and plastic greenhouses - need to water quite a lot this evening.

J will be back at work tomorrow, with the beginning of the new term.  It has seemed a long break, with him having been off ill before it started.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hope J will feel up to going back tomorrow, OG.  It does seem a long time, though:  our grandson is not going back to school until Tuesday, due to an Inset Day - he had three days back at school in between Easter and his half term!

Gloria and Gertie are now on the kitchen windowsill:  as per the middle photo.  I took pictures on the conservatory sills so that I could do them clearly. I only have a few pot plants and a lantern on the conservatory windowsills, as she runs around on them when I'm not looking!  She does seem to be calming down, though.  We all enjoyed a walk around a small mere this morning and met lots of other dogs running around, so she had plenty to play with. She didn't seem interested in the water, thank goodness, except to stop for a quick drink at the edge.  She was fascinated by the ducks but could not reach them.

It was a mild frost here last night, and shocking as you say, to read that there has been snow in some parts of UK.

I just remembered that another book I read was the Autobiography of Mary Berry:  highly recommended if you like her, and she sounds just as you would expect, very determined and precise, very loyal to her friends and family, and a warm and busy person who has no intention of retirement!

• Just to confirm, EJ has laid her second egg.  Woo Hoo!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Did I ever mention (not that I am name-dropping, of course!) that Mary Berry and her OH were at my Uncle's funeral last autumn?  He was one of her biggest fans and, living in the same village, often saw her when out walking his wee dog.  She didn't stay for the funeral tea, and one of the church ladies remarked that maybe their cakes weren't good enough!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!