Osprey Chat Thread for April 2016

A month ago I wrote that the osprey season was about to begin. The first bird expected was 3 (97) from Rutland  the first bird to arrive at a next in recent years. Well we have waited and waited and waited and still no sign of 3 (97) One must be concerned for him. However birds have turned up late before most notably Maya at Manton Bay who was three weeks late last year.

On Friday 18th of March it was reported that the first osprey had arrived in the form of 25 (10) Now she is the sister of that other well known osprey 24 (10) who hangs around Dyfi. 

Later that day the news came through that the Loch of the Lowes female was home about 13 days early. 

Then on Saturday 19th March we got the awful news that Beatrice had perished. No doubt about it as her body was recovered. She is loved by so many and osprey seasons will not be the same without her.

Early on Monday 21 March who should arrive but EJ at Loch Garten putting in her earliest appearance ever. 

Then the ospreys came thick and fast mostly very early. 

On Friday 25th March LM12 arrived at Loch of the Lowes making the first pair of the year.

Then on Sunday 27th March Odin arrived at Loch Garten but was not immediately recognised by everyone.

All the  stats  on imagicat

UKospreys have provided a rather helpful summary of all the  arrivals

So all set for a great osprey watching summer.

Tiger's RSPB signature

• I had my first ever trip to Strumpshaw Fen (RSPB) yesterday, and was on a mission to see if there was any osprey news.  

As the name suggests I suspect it could be really muddy, but it wasn't too bad apart from one or two stretches.  

On arrival I asked whether there had been any sightings this year, and none of the volunteers seemed too sure, but one kindly phoned someone.  There was a sighting last week - no date, and I can't find anything in Birdguides sightings.  I also asked about the erection of nest platforms which I had read were being proposed.  No one seemed to know;  the Ben, the warden was not around to ask.  The highlight for keen birders was the sighting of a penduline tit, which I didn't look for.  I was more interested in the marsh harriers that appeared to be nesting the other side of the water at the main hide. 

As I was leaving I struck up conversation with two folk who I had seen as we wandered around.  They knew of the osprey sighting the previous week, but no news on nesting platforms - but the man they had been talking to would know - it was Ben.  He denied there were any platforms at Strumpshaw Fen, but he was aware of a few on neighbouring 'private' lands.  He confirmed that a number often have a stopover on southward migration, and recommended I return in August. 

It was a lovely site to wander around, with lots of viewing places.  Lots of fen water and the River Yare running to one side of the reserve.  Well worth a visit, even if osprey aren't there!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/