Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 20 March 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SPRING EQUINOX!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

• Just seen your message, OG -  the photo in the Easter message is not one of mine - I didn't even know the name of the moth! I just saw it online and thought it was very colourful.

• Home from church. An absolutely beautiful day. OH finished our grass preparations this morning and I have spread the feed.

Daughter's engagement ring was ready for her to pick up this morning, so I have been looking at pics of it, commenting and asking questions. She now feels engaged. LOL It has taken since before Christmas to be made. No idea when there will be a wedding though. They have had three different architects this week, to discuss what they want doing to their London house and what the architects suggest and then draw up plans.  

• BRENDA - kept intending to ask you about the wedding - but now you have answered without being asked!  I hope they won't put it off too long while the house alterations are done.

Man came to look at our shed roof which leaked after only a year - he has agreed that it will be re-roofed at the company's expense.  He hadn't phoned before coming, as intended, so we got behind this afternoon and no time to prepare food, so dinner is cancelled and we shall have to get take-away chish and fips on the way home from church this evening!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OG, They are major house alterations ( walls knocked down etc. ) and they will probably have to move out when they take place. They will possibly have to live with his parents, who live not very far away.

Chish and fips are a popular, Good Friday meal. Hope it is a good service this evening. 

• Enjoy your takeaway, OG.  I just love Fish & Ch.

Brenda:  Your daughter must be happy that things seem to be moving, literally and otherwise.

I spent 10 mins with my photographs and think I can put at least one up of our holidays:  we met this guy/gal up quite close for a shy creature, and I was pleased with my camera, as it takes good zoom pics.

• Thanks for good wishes for our journey - I think I'm just about packed!  Been watching Springwatch which had great shots of Eagles, and a fascinating explanation of birds eggs.

Late to bed, and we hav e to be up early in the morning!

• Evening all!

OG: Oh I know how that goes with food.  I hate cooking in the kitchen in the summer, so we BBQ and have salads a lot.  It was in the high 70's here today and I ended up picking up salads on my home rather than face the pork tenderloin, which has been in the freezer for a week. Printer up and running again. I've been using Costco cartridge refills for years but got a brand new Hewlett-Packard one and that seems to have done the trick. Good the shed people are assuming responsibility for the leak. Hope you at least had the chance to shower before zooming off to church. I guess fish and chips doesn't get served in newspaper anymore.

Lindybird: Thanks for the card - Interesting critters there.

Brenda: Um, well, re the vacuum cleaner, I have a confession to make. I was so wiped out the last few weeks and the house was so dirty that I called a young lady someone recommended months ago and she came over for a few hours and did a wonderful job.  It was so nice to look around and see it all so clean, not having had to do anything!  I'm so behind with other things I want to do before my family gets here that I'll have her come again before I leave on my trip.  Anyway, the old vacuum cleaner went out the day she was here and I ended up borrowing my neighbor's.  Good to know that two more of our birds, especially Laddie, have arrived home safely. Sounds like an exciting time for your daughter.  Chish and fips? :-))

Brit friend dropped by some Hot Cross Buns she'd just baked. Am looking forward to them for breakfast.  Yum!

Granddaughter et al safely moved into new house. Horses, chickens, dogs and visiting bunny too.  She had 5 guys (former and current colleagues) building horse corrals, hauling chicken coops, and loading and unloading trucks - don't know how she does it.  Anyway, she was on her last trip when I spoke to her this evening; daughter was busy organizing things. They'll spend the weekend unpacking boxes.

• OK. Here are some long-promised shots taken the day I met my old friend in LA (back in - eegads - January!)

So these are shots you may never have seen of Los Angeles.  I took the train and got off in downtown LA.  Across the road from the station is Olvera Street, the oldest street in the city, which was founded in 1781 by Spanish settlers.  Los Angeles's full and original name Spanish name has been the topic of discussion for years. Most agree on the first part: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels). Anyway, the Avila Adobe was built in 1818 by Francisco Avila (then mayor of the city) and is now the focal point of the Los Angeles Plaza Historic District. The photos show the exterior and the dining room, study, kitchen and bedroom. Note the thick adobe walls - great insulation! The final shot is of Los Angeles Union Station taken from the garden of the Avila Adobe. The station is home to Amtrak and all the Metro trains - very busy.  It's a wonderful building, combining Mission Revival, Art Deco, and Streamline Moderne architecture.