THE LG OSPREY GABFEST FOR MARCH AND APRIL, 2016

What do gardeners, baseball fans and osprey watchers all have in common? “ In the Spring a young man’s (OSPREY’s) fancy gently turns to thoughts of love”,  and especially in the spring,  “Hope springs eternal in the human breast.”

As gardeners planting seeds and wee plants, we can envision that perfect colorful garden that for me anyway never quite materializes. As a baseball fan I can envision my Cincinnati Red’s as World Champions come fall, or at least playing in the Playoffs.

As Osprey lovers, now is when we wait and HOPE and wait some more, while we envision first EJ’s return, then Oden and some spectacular sky dances. Then the mating, then three beautiful eggs and then (Oh, joy) three perfect little bobbleheads.  Best not to think too much further ahead, lest we get into the time of parting and tears. But that is for later.

Now is the time of HOPE.!!

• March 1st is also Saint Davids Day - The patron Saint of Wales.

Celebrated on the day Saint David died of the year 589.

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus

• LEAP YEAR BABY

Pink Shell resort announce first hatching on February 29.

• Good news and lovely design.  Poor baby won't have a birthday for another 4 years and Happy St David's Day to all the people of Wales.

• I am not in a rush for the ospreys to return to Scotland. It has been reported that the period around Easter which comes early this year is expected to be very cold with snow and low temperatures and not the ideal start for ospreys. I suppose we have seen this much before. JAG and I went up to LG a few years ago the day EJ went missing presumed with Blue XD - the next day Aviemore was inaccessible.

Unfortunately they want to come back as early as the urge tells them so as to reclaim their nest before someone else moves in from far away.

I guess some will cry come First of May when someone else moved in from far away.

• Keith,

I agree with you that we don't want the osprey to come back into bad weather.  Remember the year it snowed until the nest was completely covered.?  As I remember, we didn't know at the time if EJ was on the nest under all that snow. Turned out she was on a tree somewhere nearby.  Keith, you probably have the year and some details in that vast record book of yours.

As I said in the opening, now is a TIME OF HOPE.  I just hope (and pray) that weather conditions and the natural urge all work out to the good and that our osprey (especially EJ & Oden and all the others we know & love)return in  good time.

I particularly hope that EJ and Oden both return for another successful nest at Lock Garten.  Willow, I know you are hoping with me.

I know that is a lot to hope for, so - - -   NO, I cannot bear to think of anything less.

KEITH, I know you will disagree with this last statement, our long standing discussion regarding emotional attachment VS scientific interest only. There's no one I would rather disagree with.  :)

• Keith,

I agree with you that we don't want the osprey to come back into bad weather.  Remember the year it snowed until the nest was completely covered.?  As I remember, we didn't know at the time if EJ was on the nest under all that snow. Turned out she was on a tree somewhere nearby.  Keith, you probably have the year and some details in that vast record book of yours.

As I said in the opening, now is a TIME OF HOPE.  I just hope (and pray) that weather conditions and the natural urge all work out to the good and that our osprey (especially EJ & Oden and all the others we know & love)return in  good time.

I particularly hope that EJ and Oden both return for another successful nest at Lock Garten.  Willow, I know you are hoping with me.

I know that is a lot to hope for, so - - -   NO, I cannot bear to think of anything less.

KEITH, I know you will disagree with this last statement, our long standing discussion regarding emotional attachment VS scientific interest only. There's no one I would rather disagree with.  :)

• A colorful caterpillar OR a limbful of birds?  Just a pretty picture to replace my double post.    l .

• What's happening here!!  I have posted another picture TWICE and it is not appearing.    Will try again.  I have been told I have lots of patience.  Believe me, this computer uses all of it.

OK now it posted, but I have a double post.  Will let that go for the time being.