Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 February 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY LEAP YEAR DAY (MONDAY)!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

Annette: This is the way that you encourage moles and gophers to leave your property. LOL LOL

Everyone have a wonderful week.

• Quite a trip, WENDY!  And a good mix of bustle in towns and cities and quiet on Lundy.  And your OH will presumably be happy too that Daisy's walker is available so many days!  Can't imagine you with long hair at all!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• PS - GD has arrived at her destination.  Wonders of Facebook, that we actually know!

• OG it's not that long but usually a 4 week cut this is seven and takes more than 5 mins to sort which is sadly a waste of life ..

As you know himself works from home so his walks would be whizzy . Daisy loves Alex so I am not worried at all.

• OG: I just checked the Gray Whale count website (having missed it last week) and they've counted 224 northbound adult whales so far! It's a phenomenal number so early in the season.  Stay tuned for tomorrow's total!

• ANNETTE - hope you get high numbers on your watch - is it still too early for calves?  Could be worried if the high numbers are because they didn't breed well this year!

• Annette: Great news about the whales! Hope you see lots today.

• Good Morning Everyone.

Demolition men started prompt at 8am. Just watched the digger remove the Aga as if it was made of plastic. I presume the family didn't try to sell it. We can now see all the old lady's remaining furniture all stacked in her sitting room.

Annette, Fantastic whale count. Hope you have good sightings today.

OG, Pleased to see that your Granddaughter arrived at her destination, at last.

• BRENDA - what a waste with the Aga - I am sure it could have been reconditioned.  That is so sad, seeing all the furniture in the room; I think that it is an insult to her memory, not removing her furniture in advance of sale and demolition!

Thinking of MARGO AND OH.

All three of us going to a meeting this evening about forming a local Jazz Club, mainly to promote international performers (as in Lockerbie) but we are hoping they might hold open sessions - opportunities for J to make music with others locally.

• Brenda: My sister in Lincolnshire has an Aga; she loves it. We have "garage sales" here, where people sell unwanted items from their driveways. "Estate" sales are typically entire houses full of furniture belong to deceased owners whose families first remove the items most important to them. The latter sales are always a bit sad, walking through someone's former home and seeing all their possessions laid out for inspection....   I think it was you who said you'd heard from Rita. Is she at her son's house? Do pass on our regards and we look forward to hearing from her.

OG: Will ask Mike today about the whale count, but it's too early in the season to draw any conclusions (and sometimes a pattern takes a few years to provide possible answers). Calves don't start appearing until mid-March. Last year we had a bumper crop of calves; also a much larger earlier count of adults. The theory then - and still the most likely one - is that the waters near the coast are so warm the whales are traveling closer.  Just as a matter of interest, a local birder posted a photo of a Blue-footed Booby spotted on one of the channel islands. These too are typically seen in warmer climes.

Holding best thoughts for dear Margo.