Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 21 February 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

The Full Moon is Monday!

Everyone have a wonderful week!

• Home safe and sound. Just popped in quickly but fear I've missed wishing Lindybird a lovely time away.

• Annette and anyone interested:

A SpaceX launch is scheduled for tomorrow. The launch window Wednesday opens at 6:46 p.m. EST (2346 GMT) and extends until 8:23 p.m. EST (0123 GMT). That's 3:46 p.m. until 5:23 p.m. in California, Annette. Info here and here. I assume that SpaceX will livestream the launch here. I don't know if the weather will allow the launch or not. If it doesn't, they will reschedule for Thursday.

Personally, I'm under a Winter Storm Warning. The storm that caused the awful tornadoes in the south is moving in here tonight, and then Wednesday it turns cold. We could get up to 8 inches of snow with very heavy winds and ice.

Last weekend, we broke all the historical records for warmth when the temp reached 72 F or 22.2 C -- unbelievable heat for Indiana in mid-February. Now 4 days later we will have a major blizzard. Crazy!

Will catch up with you all later.

Thinking of Margo!

• Diane: Not sure I'll be up for such an early morning event. Saw your  weather forecast - awful. It was about 10 degrees warmer than usual in Prescott  - and still no sign of more rain for us.  Take care!

Hallo to everyone else. Will catch up in the next day or so....

• Annette: Welcome home. Glad you had safe travels. The launch is late afternoon.

• SNOW!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good Morning on a picturesque frosty morning, but I haven't ventured outside yet. 

Hope you are not getting a lot of snow, OG.

Good to see that you are home, Annette.

Diane, So sorry to hear that you are due another bad winter storm. 8" snow !! Hope you have plenty of food in the house.

• Diane: Oh yes - p.m. vs. a.m. Thanks for pointing that out.  :-) Will keep an eye on it if I'm not napping in the garden!

• Good morning afternoon.

Thinking of Margo today, getting blood results again.

Heather – I can imagine my OH’s face if I suggested soup for main evening meal – although he does accept it for lunch, so long as it’s followed by two pieces of cake as well as fruit!  I see yours has the gardening urge; I was really pleased at my OH’s efforts yesterday – just right timing before this morning’s wee snowfall.

Dibnlib – thanks for pointing out the puppy’s needs in a very young family!  Who will have time to walk it, train it and teach it how to fit into a human household?  Pleased you had a good outing to Nairn Beach and Brodie; I seem to remember that their meringues are enormous!

AQ – pleased to see you are being firm about having nothing to do with the dog, but there will be occasions when it makes work for you, such as keeping it and the little ones apart for safety reasons.  I am glad your Daughter seems to be taking on more responsibilities around the house and you are gradually doing less.

Brenda – sounds like a frustrating morning for you yesterday – but much interest on the demolition site!  I hadn’t realised there was asbestos – but maybe you had mentioned that some time back when it was all being planned!  It is true that I “inspect” OH’s gardening – I am the one with a gardening background, but what I can actually do is now so limited.  I would have hoed, as I can on a good day, but it was just too cold for me yesterday, and I am glad it is done.  He didn’t get around to the planned woodwork task yet!

Lynette – urgh, cats on worktops – horrible thought!  Sorry you were tired during your swim, hope you can get back up to speed soon.  I hope your OH will get his surgery in the planned timescale, and all will be well.

Annette – pleased you are home safe, thanks for letting us know – now rest!

Diane – sorry to see you are expecting yet another extreme swing in the weather – do take care, and I hope you have supplies in so you won’t be attempting to drive anywhere!

Wendy – I suspect your snow will have lasted longer than ours!

I have taken most of the day since breakfast to write this, and I imagined there would be pages of additional posts, but I see Brenda was last on mid-morning!  Correction – Annette has woken up, but sounds like she might just go back to sleep!

About last evening: the talk on soil was excellent, by the newly appointed (i.e. confirmed today!) Chief Executive of the James Hutton Institute in Aberdeen.  It was reassuring to know that the soils in Scotland are in the main in good heart, but worrying to grasp the world-wide scenario.  We had to wait a while for the supper, so were later home than I had hoped, and I admit to being tired today, but it was nice to go out and meet a few people we know from various Dumfries groupings.

And about the weather: the evening sky after the sunset was beautiful when we went out, and the frosty moonlight on the way home.  I suggested extra care driving as sometimes the full moon brings out the wild things (Badgers, Foxes, Deer) but all I saw was one Brown Hare – still very welcome!  Our early morning snow was only about 1 cm, and it thawed quite soon, especially after the sunny day developed – but still cold.

Cleaning day again – concentrating on kitchen and dining room, and I have been busy with laundry and also trying on new clothes which were delivered this morning, and finding homes for them – oh, and window cleaner came without making it rain!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Hello all

It has been cold and bright here, no snow to speak of, just a sprinkling during the night.

Quiet day here, OH pruned the rosemary bush and pottered about outside.

I hope that DIANE is keeping warm. Her weather does seem crazy!

LYNETTE/ OG - my OH has always been quite a small eater and I suppose now he is in his 86th year it is normal to eat less at any one time. He still eats a balanced diet,if you don't count the chocolates! I can't hide them, BRENDA, it might be construed as elder abuse,LOL