Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 January 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's chat thread is here.

I saw R. T. Hawk on Thursday. It's been so cold here that I had to put the battery charger on my car for a long while. I went out as the sun was setting to remove it. R. T. screeched at me when I went out the front door. When I closed the car bonnet/hood, he screamed at me loudly and flew around his tree. I think he was telling me off for disturbing him when it was time to roost in his tree. He called more gently when I went indoors. :-)))

Everyone have a wonderful week. Roll on spring!!!

Lotus Flower
Labelled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• THANK YOU DIANE!  There you go, keeping the neighborhood awake! Say Hi to RTHawk from us.

Lindybird: Sorry about your lost post - what a bore. It's always the times that I don't copy/paste that I lose it. Glad the trip was good. I used to love waking up on snowy mornings - you'd know it had been snowing because the light was so different...  (I remember Beano and Dandy.)

Heather: Tell OH that heated throws are definitely not an old person's thing. I bet when you get yours, he'll end up wanting one.

Clare: That is a great shot of the gull (my favorite among the others).

OG: Stay warm and rest.

Wendyb: Your walk in the snow sounds lovely.  I remember The Quartermass Experiment too.

Lynette: Hope all is well with you.

Hired someone today to dig up some huge untidy shrubs and do some other work in the garden. Phew. He'll be back with a helper next week. In the meantime, gave Cecile Brunner a haircut and will tackle the Westringia tomorrow.

Have a good Sunday all.

• Hey, Annette and anyone else interested. SpaceX is going to launch a Falcon 9 rocket carrying a satellite from Vandenberg Air Force Base near you in Southern California Sunday. Info and times here. You can watch online here (I think). NASA TV may also cover it here. Also, keep watching after the launch because they're going to make an historic attempt to land the rocket booster back on Earth on a "drone ship" -- an automated landing platform.

• Many thanks to Diane for starting us off again - I am sure I am not the only one that appreciates the photos of flowers that you include as well.

• Thank you, Diane, stating us off again with another beautiful pic.

No, Heather, twins are not sleeping through the night. MissL has a few good nights but MissJ wakes 3, 4, 5, 6 times. <sigh> She obviously doesn’t want to miss anything. At least her daytime naps may last 2-3 hours, better than the 20 mins when she was small.

You are all talking about heated throws and snow. We’re expecting 38 C tomorrow, worse 39 for the start of the Tour DownUnder on Tues. Rather them than me biking out in the sun! I’m feeling lazy and since we haven’t had a takeaway since last year, I shall visit chicken shop for tea. That will leave cold leftovers for coming heatwave.

• Good morning, all!  Diane, many thanks for starting this week's thread with news of your magnificent bird - sounds like he's fine.  It's another sunny day here, though very cold (by our standards).  I'm taking Helen riding today - naturally, my camera will be accompanying me.  I hope everyone has a good day and keeps warm.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good morning!

Thanks, DIANE for the lovely pic and for getting us going.

It is -6 here this morning, I bet Wendy has lower temps?

Back later, coffee calls.

• A sunny crisp morning here. Not sure of the temp here as I don't have an outside thermometer . My app says minus 4 but as my phone is indoors it lies. It's much colder than that as my fizzy water bottles in shed are frozen to bursting point. Daisy was in and out in a flash first thing. She isn't a morning dog so 9 is first thing for her. Robin was waiting on a pot by my shed as he sneaks in whilst I am filling the feeders.

So it will be a little drive later to enjoy our winter wonderland.....

• Lynette,  I remember The Children's Newspaper. My father used to buy it for me. My brother got The Eagle comic. I always envied him. His looked more exciting, as it featured Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future. He made me wait a long time before he would let me read it!

Thank you Diane for another lovely picture. Glad R.T. Hawk is still keeping you company.

• Thank you to  Diane for starting us off once again on yet another new week - the year is flying by already!  What a beautiful pic, Diane. :-)

Rosy:  My brother got The Eagle too, and I used to read it after he discarded it - great stories, especially Dan Dare!!

Annette:  I'm glad to hear that you are getting someone in to do some of the heavy work.  Your soil must be like concrete at times, when it is so dry in CAL.

The snow is lying prettily here:  its not deep enough to be inconvenient but is melting slightly in places already, even though I believe its only about 1 degree today, outside.  Bonnie was quite fascinated with her first experience of snow, my OH said:  she looked at it and licked at it at first.  She travelled very well yesterday and hardly complained, even though she had to spend quite a time in her crate in the car boot as of course we couldn't take her out to lunch!

Spent some time online this morning sorting out boring things like our travel insurance.  Every year it increases with our ages!!  Some of the companies seem to insure you for far more cover than you need:  ten million?? even though I appreciate that sometimes this means cover for if you have to be flown home for treatment in medical emergency.

Hope everyone in UK is keeping warm in these cold temps.

• I have of course forgotten completely what it was I had written in my long post before we went out yesterday:  I lost the lot and had a few swearywords as we were leaving by then and so no time to rewrite.

I've had to sign in a few times on the Site lately, and there have been one or two hiccups with posting.