Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), January 3, 2016

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

Saturday evening was perihelion, the time when Earth reaches its closest point to the Sun for this year. Hello, Sun!

I hope everyone has a wonderful first full week of 2016!

Earth and sun via ISS Expedition 13 / NASA
NASA government photo: Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Hello all

I'm not expecting to cater for more than 15 so very small. It's just that I've received info from one person in the Order, who says that I must check bread for ingredients in case there is milk in it. Also must use soya milk for coffee and tea. Even some sugars are apparently not suitable? I think I am worrying too much. I really had no idea that what I thought to be vegan food is not acceptable!! Anyway as I might have said before here, I have ordered a vegan choc cake from local vegan/veggie cafe. (Nourish cafe,DIBNLIB)

• Dibnlib - Others have told me that the ballet was/is very memorable.  I do prefer modern ballet, myself, to the Swan Lake variety.

Heather - What a difficulty.....I was going to suggest a lot of cheesy snacks, but of course, they won't do.  I do hope that as you yourself are still recovering from illness, you won't knock yourself out trying to please everyone. Will be thinking of you.

• Heather: You might already know, but you also have to make sure there are no eggs in the bread (or other foods). Vegans use other agents for leavening and moisture, but not eggs.

re: Sugar

Beet sugar is considered vegan. The problem is with cane sugar. Cane sugar is often whitened using charcoal from the bones of cows. Cane sugar is often processed with bone char during the filtering process.

Here's an explanation.

• Heather: Maybe the following will help.

Here's a card that some vegans carry when they travel that includes good info.

Here's a comprehensive list of animal ingredients that are found in food. It's a long one. This allows you to read ingredients lists on your food and look for animal products.

Here's a short list of common foods that surprisingly contain animal ingredients.

Here's another short list of common foods containing animal products. This is a good one.

• Blimey, Diane.  Being a vegan is clearly no fun at all.  Heather, I think you're absolutely amazing!

Thank you for all of the nice comments on my photos!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Geez Louise Heather! Did you actually volunteer for this?  At this point I'd have called up all the church members and told them to bring a dish and one to share! And would they like to hold it at one of their homes while they're at it?  (Muttering to self under breath "and Heather thinks 15 is small?")  Can't see the point of eating at all if you have to rule out cheese, eggs, dairy - and honey?

• I also liked your swan photos, Clare. I love to see swans in flight, specially when I can see them land on the water. Sometimes, they touch beaks. I wouldn't know why. Mustn't attach any human attributes to them!

• Good luck with the buffet, Heather. As Diane says, if people are judging your very conscientious efforts on the food, shame on them. It is all about the loss of your friend really.

On a lighter note, I have been reading about Bill Clintons's vegan diet. It does help to have one's own personal dietician, and no doubt an army of people to prepare it for him. Another planet, really.

• I know what you mean, Rosy. I do try not to make them human, but must admit that I'm completely disarmed by the chatter of geese as they pass over in their family groups, busily talking to each other en route!!

• Clare: I loved your photos. I so adore all the wading birds! Just beautiful.

All: I was only trying to help Heather. :-) It must be stressful for a non-vegan to host a gathering of vegans, especially those adhering to a diet prescribed by theological tradition.

Heather: Good idea to get the cake from a vegan shop. Good luck!