WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, DECEMBER 6 2015

Hope all in the storm path have escaped any problems.

Lindybird: Happy viewing!

Diane: El Nino? Hmmm - it seems to have forgotten to stop by here. Seriously, "they" aren't expecting it until the end of December.

All good here today - raked masses of leaves off the parkway (street sweeper due Monday) and must do the garden paths tomorrow (if I can find them!).

Have a good Sunday all.

• Good morning.  Traffic reports clear so OH has set off – should be past Carlisle before rush hour – not that much of Carlisle will be rushing this morning!  Light rain here right now, but could be quite pleasant at times through middle of the day.

That toyshop owner in Cockermouth who was interviewed this morning for Breakfast was truly an inspiration.  We have been in his shop, and pleased to say we bought something.  On that occasion, we also found an excellent chip-shop, and J remarked last evening he would love to go there once they get cleaned up, just to support them by having some chips!

Heather – doesn’t seem long since you mentioned OH’s 80th, and now it’s his 85th!  Unbelievable.  Well done on those 70 years without ABs – that should make them very effective for you – hope so, anyway – but don’t try to do too much too soon!

AQ – sorry overnight temps are preventing sleep – sorry to say it will probably make the children grouchier – hope you have survived Monday nannying!

Rosy – good to see a post – hope you are now fully settled back into UK time – and weather!

Annette – I hope the weatherman’s “definite maybe” comes to pass!  Pleased Puss and Peanut are good – and I hope the wee Birdie will survive after your rescue!

I wonder whether Margo got the marzipan on her cake at the weekend?  Puts me to shame – I am doing as little as possible this year!

I hope that Linda got some rest last night and that she and OH can explore solutions to the Bonnie issues.

Now going to write a letter to OH’s cousin (not the bossy one) full of family history enquiries!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Lindybird - I have just read your post and I have every sympathy.  I love Baxter very much but he has turned my life upside down.  

• Not you as well?  Oh dear!  I seem to remember you also picked up your puppy late from breeder due to other commitments(apologies if I am wrong about this), and I wonder whether this OR the modern must-have "puppy crate" has something to do with the fact that they just don't learn how to behave!

• Lindybird -     I really do feel sorry for you over the problems you  have with Bonnie,  you sound so tired.    I have had several dogs over the years and some very mischievous puppies , so I do know what you are going through.    Bonnie is such a beautiful little dog and I am sure that her behaviour will improve soon, it did with all mine as they got older.   I think it takes longer with some breeds  than others and varies with individuals of course.  Bonnie is a very energetic, outdoor type of dog which are often used as working gun dogs so perhaps that accounts for her terrific energy.    You might enjoy Obedience Classes,  and you meet lots of nice doggy people to share stories with, and you can enjoy the homework training sessions with her.  the trouble is that the classes only train you to walk the dog with out them pulling on the lead, sitting when told , lying down when told ,  not snatching food from you, standing still while being brushed /examined etc,. but do not teach you how to stop them digging holes in the garden, eating the flowers, tearing down wallpaper and chewing up carpets etc., I think that is part and parcel of having a puppy!      The trainers at my Obedience Classes all had qualifications to teach and were dog owners themselves. They did do one to one sessions with anyone who wanted to talk about problems and they might give good advice about behaviour in the home.   They also ran Agility and Flyball classes  which are good for energetic dogs, I did so want to do Agility with Amber as she would have loved it ( so fast and springy) but I could 'nt as you have to run round with your dog and I am past that ! 

• Good Morning Everyone. Good to see that everyone seems to be safe from the storm damage.

Heather, I do hope the AB's and the cream are working. Definitely doesn't sound like it was caused by too much sun and you have not had time to relax since you got home from your holiday. Take care of yourself and I do hope you recover very soon.X

Linda, You sound so tense and fraught. I have never experienced such problems with any pups we have had, but I have been told that, that breed are difficult to train. Maybe training classes are the answer.

Starling, Sorry you are also having problems with Baxter. Maybe you could compare notes with Linda.

OG, I hope your OH has an uneventful journey.

I will be back later. We picked up a potted Christmas tree for the front garden and OH needs to know, where I want it to be. I don't know. lol

• Hello all

Just a quickie for LINDY-

My OH had a spaniel, think I've mentioned it before. He was a bit older than Bonnie when OH got him, he was a keeper's dog but gunshy. So he had not ever been treated as a pet, as such. OH says, like RITA, that the dog was bursting with energy! Fortunately they lived in the country and the dog could expend a lot of the energy. Also, OH grew up on a farm and the dogs were working animals. I imagine that made him more firm and less affectionate with the spaniel? He told me that the dog knew who was the boss:-))

• OH now on his way home - with the chairs.

HEATHER - I think your OH has the essence of dog-keeping: the dog has to know who is boss.  I don't advocate cruelty of any kind, but their natural life would be in a pack with one leader.  In a household, one family member has to adopt that role, otherwise the dog will!  And, as with bringing up children, the others have to back up that person's decisions.  It happened to us when we took on sibling pups - the female allowed the male to be boss, so he tried to rule us all; once we rehomed him, to a house where he was the only dog, she was fine.

• Yes OG - my OH loved Spud dearly but OH was the Alpha Male! He thinks he is still the Alpha Male LOL - I'm saying nothing :-)

• HEATHER - sometimes in a partnership the Alpha Male will abdicate the leading role and hand it to the Alpha Female - especially if he knows she is better at it!  (or maybe I should say if he knows what's good for him!)

• Heard a Cumbria farmer being interviewed about the floods: only livestock casualties were three DUCKS - which drowned!