Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 November 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat Thread is HERE.

I had several white-tailed deer in my backyard yesterday at dusk, including a large buck. They were so beautiful.

All summer, I admonished one particular Red-Bellied Woodpecker for attempting to drum on the trim around my kitchen window. Now, every time I go outdoors, the little fella chatters at me loudly. He even jumped up and down on the branch yesterday to make his point. LOL! I don't know whether he's telling me off or trying to convince me to let him eat the delicious larvae I denied him. LOL

Everyone have a great week!

• Unknown said:

I guess we shouldn't be flippant about this.  We must remember all the 2.5 billion people in the world who do not have a toilet and have to face danger to go outside their villages to do what they need.

Funnily enough that was why someone started World Toilet Day - they wanted to highlight sanitation issues.  I can't be the only one who started laughing at the concept of a world day to think about toilets, though!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good morning everyone

I know what you mean about being flippant OG but you have agree that the name is bound to bring a smile especially to us Brits with our history of 'toilet humour' :-) I hope that your plumbers are fast workers.

ANNETTE - I'm not far from the madding crowd, just not emotionally entangled with this one! Madeira is a beautiful island with many opportunities for walking and some spectacular scenery. It has,however,become increasingly touristy over the years.It isfive years since our last visit and we notice many more restaurants etc in Funchal. Our hotel,though,is very peaceful with mostly an older clientele. I have only one complaint- they don't have any Marmite !!!

Have a good day, all

• Good Morning Everyone.

Pleased to see you arrived home safely Annette and that you did enjoy seeing your friends. A real contrast in the weather for you, from what you are used to having in SoCal.

OG, I guess your plumber has started work by now. I hope it doesn't take too long.

Diane, I hope you are feeling a little better.

After overnight rain, the weather is quiet this morning, as we wait for Barney to arrive.

• Unknown said:

I guess we shouldn't be flippant about this.  We must remember all the 2.5 billion people in the world who do not have a toilet and have to face danger to go outside their villages to do what they need.

Of course, you're absolutely right about this, OG.  I didn't think at first, but now I know why it was instigated I can see the idea. I did read somewhere about the appalling conditions in places such as India and Bangladesh, where women are often attacked just having to trek to somewhere private in the scrub.  It goes alongside a pet gripe of mine, which is that so many people in the world still do not have access to clean water, surely one of life's mainstays and so important.  It makes me boil that so many governments don't do enough about these basic needs.

• Annette:  So pleased to hear that you had such a lovely time with your friends, in spite of having a broken journey. And that you're now back home safe & sound.  (what shoes??  hav'nt bought any new ones lately!)  ;-))

Lynette:  Sorry to hear of your family loss (or at least, a good friend of the family which can sometimes feel like the same thing.) Pity you can't attend but its not always possible. I expect you'll be there in spirit.  Try cooking your roast on a lower heat, and more slowly.  Do you cover the meat, which helps to keep in the moisture?

Heather:  Great that you're enjoying your stay on that beautiful island.  We've never been, but have several friends who love the place and keep going back.  The flower gardens look stunning!  Hope you can relax in spite of the dearth of Marmite.

• Right , now for the last of the Cardiff series of pics:

It was a  v e r y  grey day, as you can see, drizzly & cloudy.  Thank goodness it cleared up after, for the wedding day!  This is a view of the bay -  but if you squint, and look into the sky at the left of the lamp post, you can just see a black dot.   This was my first experience of seeing a large drone, which circled the bay for quite some time but unfortunately didn't come any nearer to us.  It made a buzzing sound.  We presumed it was beaming back to someone somewhere, high level views of the whole area from above.

Then we came across another art installation:  I'm afraid I don't know what this commemorated:  

It contrasted with the red brick older building near it.

• As did this very modern building, which was some sort of Headquarters of an international company:  note the scary stairs, on the outside!

Another contrast:  I immediately thought of our AQ!  Here is the little wooden Norwegian Church:

• Finally, I found this quite moving and rather clever.  It's a memorial to the brave and famous Captain Scott, who set sail from Cardiff Bay in the summer of 1910 for his fateful South Pole Expedition. (you can easily read about this on Google if you put in memorial/Cardiff:  it was erected in 2010 to commemorate the 100 years anniversary.)

Its made of hundreds of pieces of ceramic mosaic.

The plaque explained the construction and idea of it:  it also reminded you to go all around it, as on the other side you would find the images of his friends who also perished.....

I thought it was brilliant.

• Wow, Lindy - that's fantastic!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Glad you enjoyed, Clare.   I love photography because it can remind me of a good day or moment, and recapture that feeling sometimes that you have when you see something unique and special.

EDIT:  Hope You, Limpy and Helen are doing OK.  How are the winds there??