This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The hunt for Breagha

I thought I'd start a new thread on this as "The adventures of Breagha" are probably over. My continued frustration at not being able to visit the site was overcome at the weekend when someone who I have known for some years by name & had already contacted me by email about Breagha decided he'd like to help me in the serach. He scouted around the outside of the woods on Saturday & then contacted me to arrange a joint visit which we did on Monday 13th October, a month after Breagha sent in signals from the same spot , thus signalling there was a problem. I know downloads were at 3 days at this point, so i am still at a loss as to why a search was not instigated straight away, in case Breagha was injured. However it was not. As far as I can work out, the only official search that has taken place was by 2 agents of the ONCFS, one local & one from Chizé area )where he had been working with members of the RSPB) on Saturday 26th September. They found some wing feathers & took photos. The feathers are still in the local office. There is no ongoing enquiry & no plans to go back to the serach area. 

So Alain & I set off into the woods. They are very overgrown but there is a hunters trail that I knew which took us to the area of his last signals, opposite the track that runs between the last 2 lagoons.

This is a typical view in the woods (sorry about the photos, it was quite sombre & had the camera on automatique)

This is a typical "bridge"

& this was a trickier one which the hunters had thoughtfully put some extra hand holds on.

& then we were there, Alain went on ahead & I stood & looked & thought no hope here & there it was, a few half buried feathers. I pulled them out & called Alain & then remembered to take photos. We found part of a wing with bones intact. It was fresh, you could see the blood & bones weren't all brown. Close-up photos later on. We marked the area & I can find it easily again, about 20 m from the edge of the wood & close to my storks nest. Nearby was a big tall tree that he must have been sitting in. These are the photos of the spot

Thats my bin bag that I took just in case, from a distance you can see why they were missed, just really lucky to have found them,

& from another direction you could see some feathers in the ivy, probably blew up & got caught when the animal carried off the rest of Breagha

These are the tall trees nearby,

& the same one's lower down

We had a good look around the area but no sign of the body or other feathers so came home. We then took pictures of the feathers & they seem to match photos in the book but need an expert to be sure. However Alain pointed out 2 feathers that showed possible signs of passage of lead shot, the "hairs" on the feather had been broken off halfway down. This is a closeup of one. Its towards the end of the 2nd feather down. However there is no certainty in this.

For the experts I've put in a "foot" ruler for size

Close up of wing & bone

& other side, which for me points to Osprey underwing

Hopefully Mike will come back to me to say what needs to be done. I think they should be x-rayed to see if there is any trace of lead in them. Also the feathers found by the oncfs should be dealt with. I'm quite happy to post back to uk but for any follow-up enquiry they should be dealt with here first.

After getting home I was back out in the afternoon counting Stone Curlews with the ONCFS & quizzed them so that's how I know there's nothing else happening, at least as far as they know. 

I know I said I'd wait for the RSPB blog, but this is my story & I'm sharing it with you. If the feathers are not an Osprey then I apologise sincerely & I hope that seeing the feathes did not distress you too much. If anyone can positively come on & identify them then that would be good too.

I'm off out again this afternoon, more Stone Curlews. And big thank-you to my knight in shining armour, Alain, who read my distress in the emails & came to my rescue. I can sleep nights now!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thank you to both Noisette and Alain for trying.  I am sure an earlier search would have been more productive as would the knowledge of possibly further signals.  RSPB did not try and search when Alba went static either in 2012, maybe it is not a priority as far as they are concerned but thousands of Osprey fans are keen to know what happens to the birds and we are really disappointed with them, thanks once again for trying.

• This link might help in IDing the feathers, from Dyfi FB

Edit:  and a Google search

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Noisette - Hope this assists you in ID

• Thanks Noisette for your efforts and to Alain. As for the feathers the consensus on Facebook is that they are not osprey feathers. I suspect RSPB have more info than they are releasing at this stage.We await further response from them.

• Noisette and Others

I remember talking to Richard several years ago about the need to take something as a DNA trace of the ringed birds at LG during the ringing/tagging porocess.

Apparantly this is not difficult but am not sure if Roy in 2013 took any samples of the birds when he ringed them.

If they did then it would be easy to link the feathers to the bird ringed as Blue CF4 at LG in 2013.

What brought up the conversation with Richard was past conversations with TIGER on the need for this. Many years ago Rutland I believe had a programme of collecting DNA during translocation but apparantly was lost at Nottingham University - not sure of the whole story but Mike may be able to clarify. We were trying to establish through DNA if Monty was the Welshpool single chick through DNA to Rutland 07(97) the father of the Welshpool Chick.

Unfortunately this is an expensive procedure but maybe we could keep something for cases as when needed.

• Ah, I can't believe that we lost precious Breagha to hunters!  To hunters !! to hunters!! I have no nice words.  A huge Thank You to both you and Alain, Noisette.  That was a very emotional read, I am so grateful to you but so very very very sad.

• Cirrus, it may not be hunters, it's only one possiblity.

Feathers : As I said i'm not an expert, I'm not on facebook either, but if they aren't Osprey could someone tell me what they are? Here is a better shot of the bigger feathers that were unattached.

I'd be interested where any hidden info comes from, according to the oncfs the RSPB haven't visited the site.

Best wishes

• Noisette - I must admit when you displayed these feathers I did think they were Osprey feathers by definition and size.

The only other thought that came to mind was that of a buzzard.

I did post an ID of osprey feathers on Page 1 which do look similar to those you have collected and additionally I post a picture of a buzzards feather.

• SheilaFE said:

This link might help in IDing the feathers, from Dyfi FB

Edit:  and a Google search

I must say my feathers look spot on for this bunch!

Best wishes

• Hi Keith, thanks for your posts, it doesn't look like that Buzzard feather to me. That appears to be patterned both sides of the spine whereas mine are patterned one side only & more contrasty. I showed them to the ONCFS guys yesterday & they said they were the same as the one's they found 2 weeks ago (I think we've had a wing each).

I don't know what the critical features are but you can see the white tapering from top to bottom. On some of the big feathers you can see the feather edge cut away in the top secteur like in the feathers shown earlier.

I'll show a few more photos as i'd really like to sort this out.

Best wishes