Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 27 September 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is here.

This is a very special week because it begins with a rare astronomical phenomenon. On 27-28 September, most folks on this thread can enjoy several coinciding events:

• A full moon. The moon will turn full at 3:51 a.m. in the U.K., 10:51 p.m. in the eastern U.S., and 7:51 p.m. in California.
  • The closest full moon of the year. Within an hour of becoming full, the moon reaches perigee and its closest approach to earth for the year of 2015.
  • A Harvest Moon. This is the moon closest to the autumnal equinox in the northern hemisphere.
  • A total lunar eclipse!!!
  • This is the fourth and final eclipse of a lunar tetrad. A lunar tetrad is four consecutive total eclipses of the moon (with no partial lunar eclipses in between), each of which is separated from the other by six lunar months.

You can find complete info here and here.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Total Eclipse of the Moon
U.S. Navy photo labeled public domain (copyright free)

• AQ: Glad you got the afternoon off. The gift sounds very nice!

dibnlib: Your holiday photos are lovely. I wish you all the best with your charity challenge.

Alan: Yay, pixies!

Annette: So glad that your daughter had all the stitches removed. I wish I could attend the pow-wow with you! Hope the parking and accessibility are good.

All: My thoughts are with the people of the Bahamas, the other islands, and the U.S. East Coast tonight. We should know soon whether Hurricane Joaquin will make landfall in the U.S. It's now a Category 4. Here are two pages of webcams that show live wind and surf conditions all along the coast.

• The U.S. Air Force flew 42 fighter jets to a base in Indiana from Virginia today, along with personnel, to remove them from the hurricane zone.

• Good Morning Everyone. A misty start here, which hasn't cleared yet.

Diane, If you are around, which is the best cam to watch. I have been watching the Virginia beach one, but obviously it is windy but not bad yet.  It must be frightening for the people waiting to see what will happen.

• Brenda: Sorry, I don't know which cam is best. I just found that site tonight. It's still dark here, and it won't be dawn for 2-3 hours, so I haven't been able to watch many of them -- only the ones around lighted locations. The storm hit the Bahamas last night. It should make the north turn tonight and its path will be clearer then.

• Thanks Diane. It hasn't been mentioned here, as there is one around Italy.

I have just found reports on the internet. 

• Brenda: Here are the reports I'm following: here and here. The first link is posting up-to-date videos all the time, but they won't really know anything until the hurricane makes the north turn later today.

Have a good Friday!

• So sorry to see that there has been another school shooting, in Roseburg, Oregon.

AQ, You may have had a shorter nanny day, but it is so upsetting when a child becomes overtired and fights sleep. Happy Birthday to Miss 3.

Annette, I hope you are able to park near to the Pow wow, for your daughter.

I wonder how many pancakes, OG and EE ate for breakfast this morning, especially after having lunch with Heather yesterday and dinner with their daughter in the evening. LOL

• Thanks Diane, I have just seen reports on the TV news. 

• Margo had a phone call from her hospital Dr. who has assured her that they will continue with her chemo as long as it is working for her. That would then be followed by blood transfusions. It had been noticed that Margo and her OH were shocked by what they were told a few days ago. She feels somewhat 'happier' after the phone call, plus explanations and is looking forward to seeing Bryan Ferry tomorrow night. Chemo starts again next week.  

• My son and his wife are coming home for a week, early November. They have a business trip to Geneva and will then fly on to London. It will be good to see them. They will also be coming home for a couple of weeks at Christmas. They were supposed to run / cycle in a duathlon tomorrow, but it has been cancelled because of the pollution from the forest fires in Indonesia.