Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 30 August 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY FULL MOON!

Last week's chat thread is HERE.

I'm going to carry over Annette's links for the California Condor webcams (because I'm enjoying watching the funny looking fellas): Ventana Wildlife Society nest and feeding cams and Sespe Condor Sanctuary nest cam .

Also, Explore.org has a lot of interesting cams right now: underwater whales; sharks; the Grand Cayman reef; various underwater cams at Long Beach, California; grizzly, panda, and polar bears; puffins; a hummingbird nest; penguins; auroras; and various Africa cams. I like to watch some of them while meditating. Explore's Hawaii cams might be interesting over the next 2-3 days as Category 4 Hurricane Ignacio approaches from the east and tracks just north of the Hawaiian Islands, causing very high surf.

Everyone have a great week! 

• George, hope scans go well on Monday, nice to hear from you.

• Evening all:  Thought I was tired last night!  Nice visit with daughter this morning then home where we finally got the climbing rose under control and tied up out of everyone's way; potted plants relocated. And to think - a quick check of the fridge reveals grocery shopping is now at the top of the to-do list. Blech!

Diane: Almonds are like gold here, except gold is probably cheaper. Will keep an eye out for Manhattan.

Lindybird: Oh dear, it never ends does it!! Hope you have a good visit with the family - are you taking Bonnie?  :-)

Brenda: OMG. What a mix up. Glad it turned out to be an error.  Congrats on the club win!  Good to hear that Margo is feeling less stressed.

OG: Great shot of your visitor.

Lynette: Good to see you!

WendyB:  A week of doing nothing sounds wonderful!

Big Friday night here with me in my nightie at 7:30!!  

Have a good Saturday everyone. (Site was acting up this evening; very slow and not loading....)

• Good morning all.  Another sunny day - maybe for most of us in the UK.  Probably gardening today. OH spiked the lawn yesterday to aerate it - after putting bolts in the handle of the spiker so it didn't come apart in his hands any more, which was slowing him down somewhat!  He was able to find his tools and the bolts easily now that the garage is tidy :-)  Also need to pick and deal with runner beans which have suddenly become a glut (isn't that a horrible word - looks nasty written down and sounds like some sort of farming disease!)

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good Morning Everyone. Looks as if our early rain may have stopped.

I need to shop for a few items and will then have to prune the climbing roses. The recent rain has left them looking very sorry for themselves, with withered, drooping flower heads. OH managed to give the grass a high cut, in both directions yesterday. The ground is very wet.

OG, A neighbour is inundating us with runner beans. I have to admit that I just don't want any more :-)) There seems to be so many blackberries this year too. I have been walking along the lanes picking the big juicy ones for myself and then a friend arrived early this morning with a very large basin full, from his field. I must make some crumble this afternoon.
    Just answered the front door to receive a large bag of tomatoes.  I was given a large bag only yesterday. OH has been advised not to eat them, because of reflux. Chutney and sauces to make then !!!

I had an earlier phone call to see if I will play bowls on Tuesday. I said yes, but now wonder how I will fit everything in. I had arranged with a friend to go with her to pick up her dog, after having been spayed. I will have to smile at OH and see if he will take my place and go to the vets with friend.

Wendy, I like the sound of your week of doing nothing. I hadn't heard of your expression of son-in- sin before. LOL

I must move as once again, my plans are not running to my timetable. It also looks as if we are due to have another rain shower.

• Hello all

BRENDA - Great news about your sister but how can they make such mistakes? Very disturbing.

Does your OH take meds for reflux? Mine takes esomeprazole daily for gastro-oesophageal reflux. Result - he can eat what he wants to!

DIANE - I think that I know which war programmes you are referring to.  I mostly listen between 1am and 5.20am GMT or BST.  A lot of the history programmes on the World Service have also been on BBC Radio 4 which I often listen to during the evening.

Our greengages are just beginning to ripen, OH has been picking and eating when he is gardening! The Victoria plums are not ready yet.

OG Good luck with all the preparing and freezing of runner beans - also LINDY. I do think though, that fresh are better. Even blanching and freezing they are not quite the same? Am I doing something wrong?

GEORGE - Good luck with the scan.

LYNETTE - good to hear from you -

ANNETTE - do enjoy your grocery shopping LOL

MARGO -  Maybe out for lunch tomorrow?

Take care, all

• Hello, HEATHER.  I agree fresh is best, but I think Runner Beans are the vegetable that best retains flavour and texture after blanching and freezing.

I am not out there gardening (feeling lazy but might go and mooch around a bit after finishing this!) but OH is mowing at the front.  Hope he can do it all, and then spread a summer dressing before we get to autumn again!  I have been thinking about planting next year's spring bulbs, and what will get sown where in the veg garden, so it gets the correct soil preparation.

I also hope that MARGO will manage her Sunday lunch out before her chemo week starts!

• OG - I think that I probably don't remember to cook the blanched and frozen runner beans for much less time than the fresh ones. I don't grow broad beans any more, but seem to remember that they freeze well.

If it is dry tomorrow - it should be - I will mow the back grass. I know it is a Sunday but loads of our neighbours mow on a Sunday so I won't feel too bad about it.( The Highland Sunday was historically always very quiet, for religious reasons. No washing on the line etc).

• We don't grow Broad Beans - always seemed to get black aphids on them and I don't much like them!  Because we only have small veg patches, we like to grow runner beans and courgettes which crop heavily for freezing, and for only about four years we have grown potatoes, because they keep well.  We gave up peas, but had them again this year - not a good season for testing, but will grow them next year too.

Young Condor has been flexing her beautiful wings quite often today.

• I have given in. The central heating is on this evening. I haven't done any gardening today. It just felt too cold and has been cloudy all day.  

OG, The neighbour who gives me the runner beans, told me not to freeze them as they lose their taste.  I will have a go.

We have had a blackberry crumble after dinner tonight.

Heather, OH takes omeprazole daily, but he was told to avoid any fruit containing seeds.