Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 23 August 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

I missed a few days last week. I've read all your posts, but I won't try to reply except to wish everyone well.

---

Some large animal has been hunting on my deck before dawn (about 5:00 am). It lands on the deck with a big thud. It's either jumping down from the tree limb over the deck or jumping up from the top step. I can hear it chase fairly large prey (probably raccoons). If it's coming out of the tree, it could be a bobcat! I have deer staying in my backyard along the creek, and a pair of bobcats could have moved in to predate the fawns. I've read that bobcat numbers are increasing a lot in this region. I'm not afraid of them; they aren't a threat to me. I hope I get to see whatever it is!

---

I happened across the webpages of a couple of photographers whose work just makes me happy when I look through their galleries, so I thought I'd share their sites.

The first photographer is Michael Shainblum, who photographs gorgeous landscapes and seascapes (especially with the Milky Way in the background). Here's his website (click on "Photography") and his Facebook page.

The second is George Karbus, who lives and works on the west coast of Ireland (but also takes photos all over the world). He focuses on coastal and marine photography. Here's his website (click on "Gallery") and his Facebook page.

----

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

• ANNETTE - I enjoyed The Shepherd's Life on BBC radio earlier this year, it was Radio 4 book of the week, one reading every night Monday to Friday.

You've put an earworm in my mind's eye, if you know what I mean, when you write about our dear OG racing around the countryside on her mobility scooter with EE trying to catch up with her! Sorry, OG but I know you have a good sense of humour and won't mind indulging us :-)

• Margo – Thank goodness they found the leak problem at last. But isn’t it always the way – one problem leads to another. Take your cue from Billie and snooze! {{{HUGS}}}

OH had visit to ENT Doc yesterday, at last he can hear. He needs nasal spray to clear up problem but when I got home from nanny duty last eve, I found a frustrated OH as he couldn’t get spray to work. Me neither. This morn I’ve just been back to chemist & she agreed it was faulty & replaced it. OH is still coughing – sometimes we say a cough will linger until C-mas, ie warmer weather. It has been cold, last night down to 4 C and only expecting 15 C today.

I did very little yesterday at nanny duty, even so I feel sore in places. Exercises on the agenda. It was entertain & referee all day as MissL had a very short am nap. MissJ would not nap until after lunch, in desperation, Dau drove around the block. In 3 mins MissJ was off. Meanwhile I was croakily singing nursery rhymes to hide from MissL that Mummy was not in another room. She recognises the sound of the car start and the garage doors opening. MissJ didn’t nap long enough and was so cranky that Dau served her tea early. Dau’s chicken noodle soup. Last week MissJ ate everything for me, this time she rejected the bits of veg & chicken. I managed to spoon lots of noodles & “juice” into the beak. Then she demolished toast, carefully dropping the crusts on the floor, and some watermelon. By the time s-i-l came home from work all kids were fed & watered. I bolted out the door! I don’t suppose Dau & her OH had a quiet tete a tete meal!

My cough is only intermittent. I have started my get-fit for next bus trip. I have 2 weeks to build up stamina. Very low level start – just walking briskly up and down the passage for a few minutes. Trip is 2-days visiting Tarcowie, Willowie, Caltowie, Yarrowie, Wepowie, Pekina, etc and staying the night in Melrose.

• Evening all:  Another 90F here today. Blech. No breeze at all this evening. Temps are rumored to go down this weekend. In the meantime, we weather wimps are all whining... A hot winter and now a hotter than normal summer...

Heather: Just checked BBC 4's web site. The Shepherd's Life isn't available, but I did get to browse photos of the land - and Rebank's lovely dog, Floss.  That web site is a wonderful source for books to read. Thank you!

AQ: Good that your cough is on the wane as your OH's hearing is back!  Smart to start back exercising slowly (some advice I could follow myself!). My friend's daughter had twins a couple of years ago; both new Mom and her OH were employed full-time. They ended up with an au pair girl from South America who lived with them. That way, she could be in the States legally and learn English (her main goal). It worked out really well.  I'm not sure what the financial/logistics involved, but wonder if something like that might be an option for your Dau and SiL.  

Not much planned for tomorrow, especially if it's slow to cool down....

take care everyone.

• Happy full moon tomorrow, everyone. It’s a full moon near perigee (near its closest point to Earth for the month) -- the first of three consecutive so-called "supermoons".

Margo: I'm glad you found the source of the leak. I hope the issues can be resolved soon and completely. Hope you enjoy the show. Thinking of you.

• Annette: I finished mowing all the grass today, so I won't have to do it next week when your heat arrives here!

• Hello to all

A fairly quiet day up here, even though I am looking after two granddaughters while their parents help my middle daughter with some small jobs in her house.

We are awaiting rain, which has not quite arrived, so OH is in the garden doing essential tidying up etc.

I hope that LINDY and her OH are enjoying their time away :-)

Also hoping that MARGO and her OH enjoyed the show last night. Perhaps when you've got a minute, MARGO, you can remind us what show it was! I know that you told us, but my memory is shocking at times! I wish that I could write a more entertaining post because I think/ hope that MARGO reads this blog as a distraction from her anxiety. However, the most exciting thing to happen here today is that I gave Mia and Isla crisps and lemonade with their lunch and they got icecream afterwards. All not strictly allowed but I checked with their Mum and I will be forgiven. I wonder how many parents are a little afraid of their grown up children?

I will probably be even more silly tomorrow, DIANE, if it is a full moon.....

• Morning all:  

Diane: Maybe our heat will dissipate by the time it reaches you. If you're looking for yard work, I have some you could help out with. We have painters due next week to do the outside of the house and I see a giant prune back of some shrubs on my To Do list.  Also have to move pots, work table, etc. but have been waiting for cooler temps.  I was just browsing some local sites the other day and noted - on our local astronomy group page - that there's going to be a total eclipse of the sun in 2017 that will be visible across North America - you look to be very well located for the viewing! Here's a link that includes maps of the trajectory:  http://www.sbau.org/2017%20Solar%20Eclipse%20Trip.htm

Heather: Checking with parents of grandkids always a smart idea - most of the time, but sometimes it's nice to enjoy naughty secret treats with kiddies!   You know what they say about grandchildren and grandparents getting on so well because they share a common "enemy." :-)

Quiet on here; assume OG is off zooming about the countryside; Lindy sitting on her new patio furniture in Wales.  I've just had second cup of coffee and going to venture to shady side of garden to maybe wield the loppers.....

• GLOUCESTERSHIRE BADGER CULL SET TO START:

5PM WEDNESDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER

Sabs, autonymous groups and wounded badger patrols are ready

• AQ - Good to hear that you and your OH are recovering from coughs etc but do take it easy regarding your pain. Our temp here at 8pm BST is 14 Celsius. Nights are getting cooler and dark earlier, its not even September yet.

My eldest and family are travelling  today to Naples, Florida. I gather that there is bad weather on the way, Hurricane Erika or what is left of her. DiL says that there are constant news updates.