Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 23 August 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

I missed a few days last week. I've read all your posts, but I won't try to reply except to wish everyone well.

---

Some large animal has been hunting on my deck before dawn (about 5:00 am). It lands on the deck with a big thud. It's either jumping down from the tree limb over the deck or jumping up from the top step. I can hear it chase fairly large prey (probably raccoons). If it's coming out of the tree, it could be a bobcat! I have deer staying in my backyard along the creek, and a pair of bobcats could have moved in to predate the fawns. I've read that bobcat numbers are increasing a lot in this region. I'm not afraid of them; they aren't a threat to me. I hope I get to see whatever it is!

---

I happened across the webpages of a couple of photographers whose work just makes me happy when I look through their galleries, so I thought I'd share their sites.

The first photographer is Michael Shainblum, who photographs gorgeous landscapes and seascapes (especially with the Milky Way in the background). Here's his website (click on "Photography") and his Facebook page.

The second is George Karbus, who lives and works on the west coast of Ireland (but also takes photos all over the world). He focuses on coastal and marine photography. Here's his website (click on "Gallery") and his Facebook page.

----

I hope you all have a wonderful week!

• Damp day today – and quite breezy. I noticed the side fence has some wind damage (can be easily repaired). OH at museum, but I decided against baking while is out, as we shall be out this evening – not far or long, but need to rest with so many events this weekend.

Annette – that is oh so hot, don’t know how you can endure it! Thanks for Condor cam links – wonderful birds when in flight!

Diane – well done mowing the north ground – I believe you have said that is the tough patch.

Brenda – hope you have it a bit drier today; you seem to have been hit by a lot of weather this year.

AQ – glad you managed a quiet day and some gentle HW. Do take care of your back, and your OH.

Heather – pleased various family members are back to normality! I hope the wall will survive the hedge removal. Pleased Sheana appreciated your visit. OH’s brother has had to admit that he can no longer care for his wife, so SiL has gone into a home this week; he looked really ill, old and exhausted when we saw him recently, and their daughters and the local GP helped him decide that he must consider his own health. Both “girls” are staying with him a few days and hoping to see him establish a sleep pattern before they return to their homes – both unfortunately distant. I don’t have much get-up-and-go – just have to pace myself during the day if anything is happening in the evening, and be prepared to rest next day.

Take care, everyone!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Quick look in before pick up daughter at train station.

Heather "His last visit two-and-a-half years ago." ????!!!!   Egads.

OG: A shame about SiL, but constant caregiving is exhausting. Do hope OH's brother can adapt easily.   Pace yourself?  Now there's a concept....

AQ; Let us know how nanny-duty goes.

Margo: Hoping the leak is fixed permanently this time.

Back later today.

• There's an optional view on the Ventana Condor cam that currently shows about 6 condors eating dinner (a dead calf which, judging by the fact it's tied in position, would seem to have been provided by  the folks at the preserve.) . :-(

• ANNETTE  - I just looked at it. Ye gods and little fishes :-(

• Annette: Thanks for the condor links! I'm enjoying them.

All: The organization gets still-born calves from ranchers to help minimize the condors' exposure to lead. Here's an explanation from their website:

"Biologists place out multiple supplemental carcasses (stillborn domestic calves) under the cover of darkness each week at the release site's feeding enclosure to provide condors, including newly released ones, with a clean (non-lead) back-up food supply. The fenced enclosure (which is visible at times on the condor cam) allows condors to enter freely but deters four-legged scavengers like coyotes and wild pigs who would eat all the carcasses in fairly short order without a barrier to keep them out. Even with the added food, we routinely observe condors naturally foraging on carcasses that they find in the wild either on the coast (whales, sea lions) or inland (wild game or livestock). They definitely prefer the wild food supply over what we supply them, which is a very encouraging sign, but also troublesome in terms of lead exposure. Lead poisoning from ingestion of spent ammunition in wild game carcasses is the current leading cause of death for free-flying condors. The supplemental carcasses will be a common focal point of the camera because Biologists can observe multiple condors gathering in one area at the same time. Other bird species (Golden Eagles, Common Ravens, etc) will pay a visit to the feeding enclosure on occasion. Golden Eagles can attack condors, but very rarely do they cause injury or death."

• Wow!  Those condors are just fantastic!

Here's a link to the nest and feeding cams.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Unknown said:

Here's an info FAQ about the condors and the cam.

I particularly liked reading about how they feed their chicks - it's not unlike our local herring gulls!  Wish I could spy on one of their pool parties.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• You'll be able to see ravens on this cam, too, Clare. :-)))

• Thanks, DIANE, for the info. I need to find out more about condors.

Apropos of nothing in particular, stepson has just phoned to tell us that OH's granddaughter has decided, two months into her work experience year out from university course, to give it up and return to uni next term. So stepson is tied to a six month rental contract for the apartment she rented and must now pay for another accommodation as well, in her university town. She is a very lucky girl. I'm afraid that my children would have been told a few home truths and advised to get a job to pay the additional rent. What a hard mother I must have been. I think they still love me, though, LOL. Rant over :-(