Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 16 August 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's chat thread is here.

Hi, all. I just thought I'd start the new thread since Annette has been busy with family/friends and is probably tired.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Not long before autumn now.

• Good that you had a bearable day, AQ. I often wonder about the effect of these multiple jabs, it seems rather drastic and I can't see why they can't be spaced out more. Good Morning, All! I'm off to get hosed down as a busy day ahead: our family are calling in today on their way back from Wales.
  • Good morning, all.  I completely forgot to mention that Helen took 2 GCSE's back in June - she (very nervously) collected her results on Thursday and they were both C grades.  Yay!  We're enormously proud of her as she really struggles with exam nerves and this is a real triumph for her.  She takes all the rest of her GCSE's next year.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• What a week! It’s now Saturday – should be a quieter day for me.

Linda – sorry your OH was so unwell mid-week; pleased he is feeling better. I admit I did chuckle at him possibly eating “something disagreeable”, considering Bonnie’s appetite for an unsuitable diet when they go out for walks! Bonnie looks so alert in that recent photo – but why is she sitting on a white chair?? Well done that you have identified the washbasin leak – these small drips are often hard to locate (Daughter#1 has had a problem for several years in her cloakroom under the second bathroom – they have three bathrooms, so I don’t think it has received priority!) Enjoy the family visit today.

Brenda – there has been a lot of hedge-cutting going on around here, too, now that baby birds have fledged – still one stupid guy who insists he must do his in June! I hope your coughing pains have gone now.

Lynette – I hope W10 installed smoothly on Thursday evening. My MS Surface is my portable computer – a cross between lap-top (with keyboard) and tablet (when used with keyboard detached).

Margo – so good to see a post from you; sorry you are feeling so down and with all the bother of communication and plumbing problems. Having broadband down must have caused real problems for your OH working from home now.

AQ – pleased to see your Daughter now feels able to cope on her own occasionally. I hope you have rested your back well and get a good refreshing rest overnight so you can get a good trip on Sunday. Sorry your OH’s illness is lasting so long.

Heather – sorry to see you are bogged down with family problems on several fronts – I hope you can get them all sorted! Take care of yourself, too!

Dibnlib – good to see you posting – I hope you are feeling better and enjoying time with Benson – I did see your posts about giving up work while I was mostly lurking but doing occasional speed-reads!

George – pleased to see you at last have dates for the new scans; I hope you will not then be kept waiting for consultant appointment and results!

Annette – pleased you and OH were able to fit the new pump and make the birds happy with the fountain!

Clare – congratulations to Helen. Youngest Grandchild also took some GCSEs a year early – Chemistry, Physics and English Literature.

I think I should stop at this point, and post our “doings” at a later session, as I seem to have written a lot in replies!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Annette : Lots of people have died after being sanctioned but the DWP are stalling on a freedom of information request asking how many.

• So, what was I up to?  Doesn't look much when I stop to think, but I never seemed to get a moment to spare!

Wednesday evening, we went to the open event at the Porridge, watched a mostly railway DVD filmed inside Longtown depot (the Eastern - English - part of the former great munitions factory), chatted over hot chocolate, checked the events we shall attend next weekend and bought J a ticket for a vintage bus tour of the Eastriggs (Western) depot.

Thursday I did some ironing in the morning - still from the holiday - and made gingerbread and did a few little jobs while OH was on Museum duty in the afternoon.  That evening was the Wild Bunch meeting - now relocated to the community room at the Devil's Porridge.  The talk was by someone from RSPB Mersehead; interesting slides but she was not a good speaker, being over-enthusiastic and encouraged by our chairperson so that her actual words were not easy to distinguish (and that was with my hearing aids!).

Yesterday we shopped at Hobbycraft (Christmas is coming ...) and Asda this side of Carlisle. We were late setting off, as the cabinet maker phoned to talk about the new chairs we have ordered for the dining room, so we didn't get to the garden centre as planned.  Instead, we had lunch (my usual Goat cheese and caramelised onion) at The old Toll Bar; we also called there for iced coffee and a piece of cake on the way home!  J was at band practice in the evening, so we were able to choose a dinner he doesn't like, but were also quite busy in the evening.

J is currently upgrading his laptop; OH is washing up and having a much-delayed cleaning day.  I have finished the holiday ironing, dealt with some correspondence and generally pootled about!  I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• What is the Evil's Porridge?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Sorry, Clare, typo!  Corrected it Devil's Porridge!  This is the museum of the huge border munitions factory, named after Conan Doyle's discription of the evil stuff the munition's workers had to stir together to make cordite.

• Thanks, OG!  I might have to give it a visit if I ever happen to be in that part of the world.

• It is very worthwhile, and not expensive (we get special rate for locals).  It has been around a while now, as a community museum: first housed in one of the churches in Eastriggs township, then in a farm barn, then managed to build its own premises in time for the centenary of WW1 last year and centenary of the munitions factory and the Eastriggs and Gretna Townships this year - being celebrated by a 4-day weekend festival next week.  

• CLARE   Well done to Helen on those exams.

OG how thoughtless of anyone to cut hedge in June.

Have had such a nice day which I have needed as I have been quite down recently. This afternoon we booked for "Cosi fan Tutti" and "Carmen" in the latter half of October.  Not sure if I have said but we ar off to Budapest on 4th Sept, three nights there then a train journey To Vienna where we have 3 nights.

We also had a lovely walk at the canal. No camera today. On the way home we noticed some activity on the Kessock Bridge and then OH spotted someone on the wrong side of the railings. This is a well known jumping point. As we passed the roundabout approaching the bridge they were stopping all traffic from entering the bridge going north. Obviously they were trying to talk him into thinking again. I do hope there is a good outcome.

First pic is the Jacobite Queen on its way to Loch Ness.

Second pic is Benson taking the opportunity for a snooze on our bed while we were getting up.   He is not allowed on downstairs furniture but does like a little time on our bed in the morning.

Off now to cobble tog a salad of stilton, walnut and orange.