THE LG OSPREY GABFEST FOR AUGUST and SEPTEMBER, 2015

• Willow we're thinking along same lines. also thinking ahead to 2016 I am scared for return of odin and/or EJ. I know they faithfully defended and maintained their nest, but still- - -

•      Some  shots from my garden

• Good evening June and all. Lovely photos of your garden it looks in much better order than mine! I love that red vine plant. What is it got to have one! My Day lillies are not at all good this year they were over before they even got started!

• Good news from Rutland S2 has caught his first fish which is very unusual aparently. He must take after his father as hes an excellent fisher! Ive never heard of a juvenile fishing before migration! Thats always a cause of worry for me if they have enough to eat! Hunger must force them to learn FAST!

• Brilliant blog by Kayleigh at Rutland! Shes been doing wonderful blogs all season and many of them too. Id do a link but cannot on this computer  :(

• Will look for Rutland blog.

I too love the Cypress vine & my day lilies also failure this year

www.burpee.com/.../search.jsp*

• 58willow said:

With the imminent departure of dear EJ and Odin I have been reflecting on all the sad events that have taken place this year at LG but also at Rutland Water where the old Mr Rutland was almost turfed out of his nest after a battle with 2 younger males the eggs were destroyed and no chicks for site B either. There seem to be many young ospreys about looking for somewhere to breed and can be good news as well :)

I am surprised that EJ has stayed so long but I understand the last sighting may have been yesterday taking a fish from Odin early morning at the nest. Maybe she is on her way now.

YES - A bit of a mixed bag but we must match the success with the nest failures.

LG and Manton Nest B were almost like for like. Two very successful nests and on both established pairings returned. They both aggressively came under attack in what can be described as a coup d'etat and in both cases the resident male could not defend the nest with subsequent loss of eggs and a Nest Failure. Also in both the male went away re-couperated and won back the nest but too late except for bonding between the pairings. Same results. Dissapointing YES but also EXCITING having the privilege to watch these goings on and understand what happens in the Osprey World (We are not going to change it or even attempt to).

BUT to match this we have seen the turnaround in one season at Manton Bay and Loch of the Lowes. One because a young male took a vacancy last season and despite first rejections did bond towards the end of the szeason. He was strong enough gto fight off other interested parties and came back stronger this season and a great result with S1 - S2 - S3 soon about to leave our shores.

Likewise with again a vacancy available a young female invited herself to the LOTL nests and again F2 - F3 and F4 about to leave our shores. This waas more than expected with a new breeding female and a male who has never fed more than one chick.

I am sure this has happened throughout the country - there are 250 breeding pairs in Scotland and we only look into a handful.

All in ALL - A MIXED BAG as it always will be. The big question at both LG and Nest B who will return and what will happen once off the blocks - its generally the early days that determines the results.

Again we can look at Glaslyn - Many disappointed to not see Orange 11 (98) - a hall of fame bird - but what a success in the nest establishing a new male and rear two chicks yet to fledge as the nest is late.

• 58willow said:

Good news from Rutland S2 has caught his first fish which is very unusual aparently. He must take after his father as hes an excellent fisher! Ive never heard of a juvenile fishing before migration! Thats always a cause of worry for me if they have enough to eat! Hunger must force them to learn FAST!

It is known some ospreys do learn to fish before migration and alot depends on where the nest is situated. At a nest I watched for many years (LOCHTER) the nest was on the fishery and the young generally caught fish before they departed. Ewen even made sure he stocked the stocking pools with small fish for them and were an easy catch.

I think Manton is very similar with the nest on the reservoir and do not have to go far to catch a fish.

Not sure about birds that may have to go distance such as LG and many more. In the early weeks they do not venture too far from the nest and probaly the nearest would be the River Spey or in to Aviemore if they know about Gordons Take Away. Some males have to travel 10 miles to catch a fish so doubt if these birds even see water until they are flying some distance and then they are ready to leave.

Well dont WORRY too much if they do not learn fast they starve and the bird does not make it - again The world of Ospreys.

• I mentioned LOCHTER above and visited Tuesday evening. Not much around as the surviving chick had fledged and was starting to fly distances and stay away from the nest. In two hours I caught a glimpse very high in the sky an osprey circling gaining height but it did not approach the nest or lochan to feed. Maybe the youngster practising thermals or one of the parents or one of the visitors from other nests around.

It was so high so unable to identify the bird.

There are many nests in the vicinity of LOCHTER so having to wait 2 hours for a single sighting had a look at one nearby and here there was a full house but think a later nest as the young were all around with adults mainly at perch.

Pictures not great as had to keep a long distance as not to disturb these - they are not used to people as Lochter are. Also last time I got a bit closer got sucked into a swamp up to my knees.

One did fly overhead possibly an adult.

I was away at Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Club near Kelso for a few days social and was able to see ospreys on the River Teviot in the borders. This was a new experience. I was guided to where to view as I doubt I would have found them.