WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY JUNE 28, 2015

'Allo all.  Hope it's a good week for everyone.  Ghastly news from Tunisia - those poor people, sitting on the beach enjoying the sunshine....

Heather:  There's at least one situation like yours in every family (sometimes two or three!).  Makes you wonder where these folks came from  I mean, can they really be related to sensible grown-up like us?  :-)  

Diane: We're on the edges of a tropical storm system heading into the Southwest which could end up in your neighborhood in a few days.  What a pain. It must keep on on edge the whole time.  I do hope the trees around your house are sound   We don't have many needs when it comes to cars, but we just have our trusty Honda Accord and our lovely old 73 Ford Ranger, which guzzles gas big time and is a bear to drive down Santa Barbara's narrow streets (narrow because of parking on both sides - and not narrow at all compared to some roads in England!).  The truck is in great shape but sits out most of the time and it's is beginning to rust in a few places. It takes up the entire garage and I'm the one who takes it and the stepladder to the do-it-yourself car wash where I nearly get blown off the ladder by the water pressure. Truck is too big for a drive-through wash.  Anyway, it's slowly deteriorating and I'd rather see it go to someone who will really care for it - it's pretty much a classic a this point.  I'm thinking sort of long term for a newer SUV with minimal bells and whistles that is versatile and economical.  We're looking at hybrids, but there's not a big choice in the smaller SUVs.  The Toyota RAV 4 will come in a hybrid version for 2016 - at a cost of about $30K!  Typically we buy newer used vehicles but with the recession, folks seem to have hung on to the popular models much longer than usual and the ones advertised on, say, craigslist, have lots of miles on them.  Still, there are much, much worse dilemmas to deal with in the world.

Lindybird: Good news from Glaslyn then.  Ha! Liked the 1-in-5 joke.

That tropical storm that's east of us has brought clouds, humidity - and a sprinkling of rain!  More sprinkling possible in the next two days. Hey!  It's wet. we'll take it.

• Thanks for starting the thread, Annette.

I thought I'd pop in and tell this true story that happened to me today. Maybe it will help someone else.

The Universe has taught me a lesson in perspective.

I’d neglected my yard work for some time -- partially due to the horrific weather and the demands of my freelance work -- but also because I just haven’t been as functional as I should be. The grass was tall, and worse, a bunch of stinging nettle weeds had grown up along the front of my house. Those plants are incredibly invasive, and they were spreading rapidly. I swear, they also grow several inches every day, so they were tall.

I was ashamed and embarrassed at the state of my lawn, and I was really beating myself up. It seemed like another example (in a long list) of recent failures in my life. So I went out early this morning, determined to pull those tall, awful weeds.

I stepped out the door and looked around in amazement to find dozens and DOZENS of butterflies on the stinging nettle. I’m not a butterfly expert, but apparently, stinging nettle is a food/host plant for caterpillars of some wildly colorful, stunning butterfly species.

I stood there astonished, and the butterflies started to land on me. I sat down on the step surrounded by my humiliating tall weeds, and the butterflies crawled on me, opening and closing their magnificent wings and looking at me with grateful little bug eyes.

So now, I don’t feel guilty. All of those glorious new butterflies are alive to pollinate plants and live their happy bug lives, because of my shortcomings. Maybe that’s what was supposed to happen.

(I’ll still get rid of the nettle before it takes over.)

• Diane: Congratulations on doing your bit to keep nature chugging along. Just think: Where would those butterflies be(literally) without your weeds. Do what you can do when you have the time and energy to do it.  Hate to hear it's been so bumpy of late; hope your interlude in the garden will have a long lasting positive effect.  Hugs across the continent to you!

• Good morning from England!  Thanks for starting the new thread.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good morning from Scotland too!

Filled with joy at your butterfly experience, Diane!  Plenty of time for pulling nettles when the butterflies have finished with them.  And well done with the mowing too.

Yesterday was good but busy in the garden quite late into the evening.  Today began wet, but I think is going to clear later.  Looking forward to lunch out.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Good Morning from Cheshire!!   

Thanks to Annette for starting us off again.   Am just going back to read about Diane's experience:  not had time yet to spend on pc as I've been washing my hair and various other urgent matters, LOL!!

Enjoy your lunch out, OG!

• George g have sent a PM which I hope you will receive.

Have a good day all and especially thinking of diane.

• Been off doing chores, but I did read your lovely description of the butterflies, Diane.  What a superb story. Nature does that to us sometimes: it can still surprise and delight us.

Stay safe in your unpredictable weather, and keep an eye out for your Red Tailed Hawk for me!

• BUTTERFLY DELIGHT

The nettles wild were calling me:
    They were such a disgrace -
    Their waving spires were everywhere,
    Giving me a sad, long face!

I swore, and turned, and said "I will
    Rip all of these things out!"
    I'm sure they heard me somehow:
    I sometimes tend to shout....

I opened up my door and went
    To do the dirty deed
    With gloves and knives I was prepared