DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten Nest Sunday 21 June 2015

On Thursday night I got a message on my telephone asking me the time of the summer solstice. I was able to tell them that it would be 5.39pm BST on Sunday 21 June, which of course is today. Amazing to think that the sun has reached its most northerly point for 2015 and it will be moving south as from today. 

The person who rang me was not the person who wanted the information but they did so on the grounds that I was likely to be able to supply an immediate answer. They were genuinely surprised to learn that the summer solstice could take place from 20th to 22nd June (19 June in 2488 but none of us are likely to be alive by then). 

For summer solstice see  here

The remarkable thing was that the next day (Friday 19 June) I ran into the person who wanted this information on three separate occasions even though I rarely meet them. Coincidence eh?

Then as I came to write this another quite strange coincidence happened. Last year as many of you will know there was a great osprey saga in Nelson Canada. The day before yesterday  a chick was hatched on the the Nelson nest.

Now someone pointed out that this chick was hatched on the death of Nelson. Immediately I thought ....never Nelson died at Trafalgar on 21st October. Maybe they are thinking of  Waterloo (18 June)

But of course they were talking of dear old Nelson the osprey who died on 19 June 2014.

So why so many coincidences?  I guess that is because we only  got 366 dates and then things repeat themselves.

So how long before Odin and EJ start to chase the sun south? I would say 60 days at maximum, just over  8 weeks.