DAILY UPDATE ~Loch Garten Nest ~ Wednesday 17th June 2015

Sometimes when bad things happen it feels that life will never be the same again. Well very often that is not only not the case but good things come out it. After the sad loss of the eggs just over a month ago it seemed as if  a gaping hole lay ahead. Well Loch Garten have responded magnificently and now users are experiencing a whole new view.

I say new but at the same time not really. Back in July 2009 at around the time this forum was created the camera on the Loch Garten nest broke down. Then the wide angle cam was used for the rest of the season. It was much loved and requested again but until 2015 we have not seen it again.  Mind you the camera now is much better quality than the cam in 2009.

As some of you will know Hellgate Canyon had a disaster with their eggs in a hail storm and they are having to resort to similar things to keep the viewers occupied. 

Writing in a recent post Erick Greene pointed out that to lose an adult is ten times as bad as to lose a clutch of eggs. To think that one point it seemed as if  not only had Loch Garten lost a clutch of eggs but  Odin too. 

Now people are enjoying seeing Odin and EJ have some quality time together. Interestingly EJ has not has not gone on holiday like green J at that other nest. 

There have been fallow years at Loch Garten before, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007. At the end of the day Odin an EJ have only got to get two chicks back to replace themselves. Last I heard one of those was crossing the border into France heading north  with only 1,000 miles to go before arriving back at Loch Garten to take his dad to task for leaving alone for two days in 2013 and forcing him to fly south. 

We are now about half way through the osprey season. It seems to go forever faster. 

One lovely picture from 2009 of Garten.  I wonder if she is out there somewhere?