Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 17 May 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

I thought Annette seemed tired from all of her pet-sitting and entertaining duties, so I've started this week's new thread. Hope that's okay, Annette and all.

I've been very busy on a freelance project. The contract allows another month to complete the work, but I want to finish it sooner. It's very demanding (thanks for asking about it, Brenda).

I've also been trying to keep up with my lawn mowing. I've managed to see a lot of wildlife this week.

I've seen R.T. Hawk and his mate. I assume they're hunting to feed young. R.T. flew low over the driveway lane and gave me a disapproving look and a bit of a screech because he doesn't like the lawn mower. :-)

For the first time in many years, I saw an Indigo Bunting on my patch. He was glorious and looked like a blue Easter egg. He was singing like a canary, so he must have a mate this year, too. Woo-hoo!

With great fear and trepidation, I mowed over the site of last year's yellow jacket nest (aggressive species of wasp). I was so grateful because I didn't see a single yellow jacket! Apparently, they are well and truly gone and have relocated to someone else's land. Yay! I was swarmed twice last year, and I don't think I could take any more of their venom!

On Thursday, I had an exciting incident. I was cutting some weeds along the house, and a stunning, shiny black head appeared. A black snake flicked his tongue at me, and then climbed up the exterior wall of the house (yes, they climb!!!). He disappeared behind a loose piece of siding. All four feet of him!

He was gorgeous! It's a good thing he was a gentle black snake and not a racer; he might have bitten me, because I was pretty close to him. I knew what he was, though, and I wasn't afraid. I hope he stays around, because he'll keep chipmunks, field mice, and other critters away from the house and the car. :-)

There used to be a big one on this patch a few years ago, about 5.5 feet long. This fella must be an offspring.

I also have an active pileated woodpecker nest this year, and they're all very loud.

I hope you all are enjoying the spring and looking forward to summer. I wish good travels and fun times to all who are on holidays.

I'll be around to post when I finish my work. Take care, all.

• I know I shouldn't laugh, LINDY but I will miss hearing about Bonnie's escapades when she grows out of puppyhood!

• Don't forget to take the sausage rolls, LINDY:-))

• Heather B said:

I know I shouldn't laugh, LINDY but I will miss hearing about Bonnie's escapades when she grows out of puppyhood!

At the start of this saga, someone told me that Spaniels take four years to calm down, Heather!! Snoring now, next to me on the sofa. This is the dog who was not going to be allowed on the furniture..........but we started out by cuddling her on our laps when she was small.......
  • Heather B said:

Don't forget to take the sausage rolls, LINDY:-))

Oh, heck - forgot 'em last time!!! Forgot about that, myself LOL!!
  • Sorry I haven't got back on here today. After bowls, then dinner, I really did need to catch up with the ironing, which I have neglected this week and the pile was getting very high !!

We are making an early start tomorrow, to go and see daughter and her partner and celebrate OH's Birthday with them. We will be going out for lunch with them and whatever else they have planned.

Enjoy your weekend Everyone.

• Thanks, Brenda. Have a good weekend, yourself! Glad to hear that you had such a lovely time on your OHs birthday, and that there are more celebrations to come! I'm off to get some rest - we're both tired from all kinds of effort lately, but looking forward to seeing our offspring & their offspring over the weekend. Night All!
  • Evening all: Very hectic day but it's over!  :-)  Had a couple of old friends over for dinner for OH's b/day; very enjoyable.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

• Good Morning. Dull here, but dry. Off the starting blocks for me, shortly, on a busy weekend. Hope that those who work enjoy their Bank Holiday!
  • Good morning, all.  Lindy, you were quite observant yesterday evening!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hello all

Well, my OH went to a funeral this morning, a fishing friend. My youngest SiL's granny died the same day as our Danish friend. I've promised to look after Mia and Isla while their parents go to the funeral so don't know if we will make it to Denmark for Jørgen's funeral. My OH may go over there on his own and I will follow a day or two later, spend a few days there and return together.

BRENDA I told my OH about the builders and the tea and the wall. He is asking, what colour is the cement......

Next door are having a new front wall built. The chappie doing it called on us this morning. Next door obviously think that the post at the end of our wall is looking rather scruffy so he is offering to tart it up a bit so that it looks more like the gatepost he is building for them.  My dear OH is not into the aesthetics of things so has agreed. So one of the posts at the end of our front wall will be somewhat different in appearance to the other!! I've given up, there are far more important things to worry about!!