Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey Topics), 17 May 2015

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

Last week's Chat thread is HERE.

I thought Annette seemed tired from all of her pet-sitting and entertaining duties, so I've started this week's new thread. Hope that's okay, Annette and all.

I've been very busy on a freelance project. The contract allows another month to complete the work, but I want to finish it sooner. It's very demanding (thanks for asking about it, Brenda).

I've also been trying to keep up with my lawn mowing. I've managed to see a lot of wildlife this week.

I've seen R.T. Hawk and his mate. I assume they're hunting to feed young. R.T. flew low over the driveway lane and gave me a disapproving look and a bit of a screech because he doesn't like the lawn mower. :-)

For the first time in many years, I saw an Indigo Bunting on my patch. He was glorious and looked like a blue Easter egg. He was singing like a canary, so he must have a mate this year, too. Woo-hoo!

With great fear and trepidation, I mowed over the site of last year's yellow jacket nest (aggressive species of wasp). I was so grateful because I didn't see a single yellow jacket! Apparently, they are well and truly gone and have relocated to someone else's land. Yay! I was swarmed twice last year, and I don't think I could take any more of their venom!

On Thursday, I had an exciting incident. I was cutting some weeds along the house, and a stunning, shiny black head appeared. A black snake flicked his tongue at me, and then climbed up the exterior wall of the house (yes, they climb!!!). He disappeared behind a loose piece of siding. All four feet of him!

He was gorgeous! It's a good thing he was a gentle black snake and not a racer; he might have bitten me, because I was pretty close to him. I knew what he was, though, and I wasn't afraid. I hope he stays around, because he'll keep chipmunks, field mice, and other critters away from the house and the car. :-)

There used to be a big one on this patch a few years ago, about 5.5 feet long. This fella must be an offspring.

I also have an active pileated woodpecker nest this year, and they're all very loud.

I hope you all are enjoying the spring and looking forward to summer. I wish good travels and fun times to all who are on holidays.

I'll be around to post when I finish my work. Take care, all.

• HEATHER We are lucky enough to have Red squirrels here and of course at Abernethy. The neighbours who back on to the woods have squirrel boxes in their gardens and see them often. We are about 100 mtres from the woods and have a dog so our chances are slim though we did look out one morning to find one dancing along in our back garden. Keep your eyes skinned, they are about, much smaller than greys so more difficult to spot

• I don't think they will be seen in town, where we live :-( but we saw loads of reds at Ballater a few years ago when we stayed at Craigendarroch, DIBNLIB.

• Good evening everyone

What a day we have had with the rain, awful!

2 days a week my OH supports a young man with a learning disability at Wood Green animal shelter, anyway I received a telephone call from him, telling that he had just seen a 1 year old Cocker spaniel that had been brought in yesterday, "did I fancy looking at him"

Now I wished I hadn't, he was lovely, very affectionate, his write up was too good to be true, good with children, other pets, toilet trained, listened and followed commands etc etc, the owners were unable to spend enough time with him, out for 8 hours a day.

Anyway when we went to put our name down to show an interest, only to find someone had beaten us to it, very disappointed to say the least.

So we are number 2 on the list, although I realise we have no chance.

My daughter made me chuckle and groan in one go, she telephones frequently everyday. This morning at 7.45am on her way to work I received a call, just to tell me that she was traumatised see a Squirrel caught up in the traffic trying the cross the road, then hit by a car, like I don't have enough trauma watching Ospreys at the moment, but thanked her for passing on that information, she really is a scream at times, my little grandson (4 year Old) is following in his mums footsteps, bless him.

• Annette: I've just seen the news about the oil spill. I hope you're safe!!! I've read that the toxic fumes are causing many to evacuate. Please get out of there if you begin to have trouble breathing. I know the spill is near you, but I'm not sure exactly how far you are from the toxic air. Don't take any risks, my friend.

Wishing the best for you and your community.

Hello to everyone. I'm working so can't stay and catch up. I was just worried about Annette.

Info HERE and HERE

• Hope the oil spill doesn't have adverse affects on the whales as they pass by.

• Evening all: Another day of Getting Things Done after a nice latte and zucchini muffin with friend. The only fly in the ointment is that I took a nice skirt that has been languishing in the closet for a couple of years to a new place to have it altered and from what I can remember it's going to cost more to do that than what the skirt cost in the first place. :-(

Have enjoyed all the talk of red squirrels (but not Tina's daughter's unfortunate experience - that would be upsetting).

Diane/LizLFW: That oil spill is about 15 minutes drive up the coast at Refugio Beach - one of the loveliest campgrounds on the Central Coast.  They're doing a live press conference now. Apparently, the pipeline ruptured inland but the spill went into a culvert and then into the ocean before they managed to stop it. The wind has pushed it offshore and they've got a boom containing it to some extent, but there's definitely concern about the migrating whales and other wildlife. They've closed Refugio and El Capitan beaches (both were  heavily booked by folks heading to the campgrounds for the Memorial Day weekend).  No smell here yet.  On the upside, the Gray Whale Count has now seen the most calves ever in 11 years and they (the folks at NOAA who are the project's partners) have tentatively extended the count by another week, depending on how this week shapes up.

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

• Our local website has posts from locals who drove by the area and said the odor was sickening.

• One article said it smelled like benzene. I knew that you had the cold that settled in your lungs, and I thought: Oh, she does not need to be breathing those toxins. I'm glad the pollutants haven't reached you, and I hope they don't. Take care, dearie.

Everyone: Interesting video and article on the spill HERE.

• TINA   Sorry to hear you missed out on the Cocker. Good to see the previous owners have done the right thing and given him the chance of a more appropriate home. They certainly need a lot of entertainment as we now know.  Maybe another such angel will turn up for you.  Sorry to hear of your daughters unhappy sighting. That would really upset me as I am sure it did her.

ANNETTE  hope you are not too troubled after the oil spill.