NEW VOTE re LG CAM 'QUALITY'

As you may know, it has been revealed that we've actually been on the "lower frame, higher quality" transmission for well over a week.  During that time we've missed most fly-ins and fly-outs, lots of other activity, and even EJ eating a fish on the nest.  As one of our number said "the picture quality can't get worse than it is now", so...

I feel that the supposed increase in picture quality doesn't compensate for significant loss of nest activity.

Shall we ask Carnyx to revert to higher frame rate, lower quality picture - in which case we should see everything that goes on, even if it's somewhat blurred at times... often ;-)

Sorry, everyone.

YES = revert to lower quality

No = keep it as it is now.

• I wouldn't dream of going against the majority - I only do videos for others to catch up on or have another look in detail at what went on.

It's pretty clear that most people who've expressed a preference want to keep things as they are, so that's what I will be telling Carnyx some time tomorrow... unless we get a flood of last-minute votes for Option 1 :-)

(You may now see a surge of new members all called variations on "scyllabub" casting their votes for Option 1.  Only joking ;-D )

• I think I will sit on the fence on this vote.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Scylla the consistent view running through this thread is that those who do most of the recording should call the tune. That to me is both fair and common sense. The title of Mission Control was 'awarded' for very good reason. Good luck with your discussions.

• Mike B said:

Scylla the consistent view running through this thread is that those who do most of the recording should call the tune. That to me is both fair and common sense. The title of Mission Control was 'awarded' for very good reason. Good luck with your discussions.

ABSOLUTELY..........

.I will always agree, with those who spend so much time ensuring no one misses any action, their dedication is always appreciated,

and how 'Mission Control'  pulls it all together amazes me, and yet still asks for others opinion, a very special person.

• Mike B said:

Scylla the consistent view running through this thread is that those who do most of the recording should call the tune. That to me is both fair and common sense. The title of Mission Control was 'awarded' for very good reason. Good luck with your discussions.

Well put Mike.    I am in absolute agreement with this.   

However one point ....   I know the VC is very, very busy and will have more on their minds, but I am still intrigued about the fish incident!    I really think it is important.   There must of been at least half a dozen of us watching, including myself, and I did not see EJ eat a fish on the nest on the Wednesday evening.     I'm only guessing here but common sense tells me this wouldn't just be a few seconds missed!   So exactly how much are we missing?  

• I was going to sit on the fence but someone kicked, so here goes.

I was all for Option 2 on the last vote but having seen it over this period of time I feel that the picture quality is not much better than when we were on Option 1.  I've recorded many videos and after looking at them they are so hit and miss it seemed pointless putting them on the thread as there was too much missing.  I think we should now try Option 1 to see if the videos will be better - I don't think there will be much difference in the stills.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• Hi all. Could we please have all replies by midday Friday.

Many thanks in advance.

The vote so far is

Option 1: 2

Option 2: 4

Leaving to those who do the recording is 6.

This means at the moment we go back to Option 1.

Magnus Ullman

• I am still wishing to leave it to those who record the vids to make the decision.  As it is my LS is continually buffering or dropping out, as does the sound, so I miss things anyway.  Having a less clear picture probably means we won't miss so much action, but will have a less clear view.  Heads we win, tails we lose.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• deveronside said:

As I've said before, we're between a rock and a hard place. The RSPB (not the LG VC, to be clear) should hang their heads in shame, not for not having the resources but for not having capitalised on the potential resources they have - that is us. Look at what Dyfi and others have achieved. Clearly then, I have no preference, given the options.

I am sorry to hear you feel we should hold our heads in shame. As a conservation charity our money is spent on tackling threats to wildlife. We actively encourage folk to volunteer for us and to help with the work we do, so I am not quite what else you would like us to do.

• Mrs T. I think what is being suggested is that many of the users here would happily contribute, as they do elsewhere, to have some form of satellite or other modern technology, installed to improve the quality of the streaming image. I think everyone knows that in such a remote area,devoid of broadband a solution would be expensive BUT that side of it has been overcome by much smaller societies by means of donations for the specific project.