Loch Garten Group Osprey Question and Answers 2015

This is a new thread to replace  Ospreys Q&A

That is because the former page is afflicted by the white page menace.

Please note the guidlines laid down by SueC who started the original thread.

Asking Questions

For clarity, please only ask one question at a time.

Replying to Questions

Try to be specific, giving links to the relevant information where possible, or quote your sources. If you are giving your own opinions, recollections or theories, please make that clear.

If the question you are answering is not the last post in the thread, please use the Quote facility to include the question in your answer.     

General

To make it easier to search for the topic in the future, use the Tags field. For example, if your question is “Is Odin really Scandinavian?” enter “Odin” in Tags.

• Thank you, Tiger.  I'm posting a link to the second to last page of the previous thread as there is some interesting stuff on it.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Please would someone explain to me the circumstances around Olive ''just flying off''

• Ok I will bring over what I had just posted in the other thread in answer to choco's question and in case anyone else was wondering about the name 'imagicat'

chocoholix said:
    It's for Tiger or ChloeB - Why is imagicat called imagicat?

When I first got the domain I had never built a website before so was an unknown quantity and a learning project for me. The name is a bit of a hotchpotch brainstormer on my part. I thought about starting with an album for photos and was playing around with names hence the imag-i part or i-magic - eye magic-at. I liked it and it stuck :) Anyway, later on, after I had learned one or two (lots) of basics, some pointers from CC about HTML tables (thank you CC) and much experimentation and discussion it was decided it should become an osprey data site. Initially it was called ChloeB's osprey data then later ChloeB & Tiger's osprey data. I am still learning lots as I go along but the main thing is, it works....most of the time. A labour of love which is i-magic to me :)

Nothing to do with cats :)

• Unknown said:

Please would someone explain to me the circumstances around Olive ''just flying off''

Have you read the summary of the season 2003?

• A question, please, for Osprey experts re EJ's behaviour on the LG nest.

After the eggs were broken and she had some fish, she gradually started to spend more time away from the nest, and when on it, stood on the edge in the usual position.

Now she has reverted to incubating the phantom egg more or less full time.

I wondered if it was possible that because of the many recent intrusions, including a female, she is trying to demonstrate ownership of the nest - has this behaviour been observed elsewhere?

Or is it that she is still hormonally unstable, and generally distressed by the situation?

(I put this query on the old thread earlier this morning, and have now copied and pasted it here.)

• Hazel b said:

I can bet the loss of Henry's Darvic ring caused a huge amount of confusion!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Oldshoremore said:

A question, please, for Osprey experts re EJ's behaviour on the LG nest.

After the eggs were broken and she had some fish, she gradually started to spend more time away from the nest, and when on it, stood on the edge in the usual position.

Now she has reverted to incubating the phantom egg more or less full time.

I wondered if it was possible that because of the many recent intrusions, including a female, she is trying to demonstrate ownership of the nest - has this behaviour been observed elsewhere?

Or is it that she is still hormonally unstable, and generally distressed by the situation?

(I put this query on the old thread earlier this morning, and have now copied and pasted it here.)

Paul Wildlifewriter wrote a blog about this recently. Hope it is helpful See  BATHTUB BLUES

• Hazel b said:

Please would someone explain to me the circumstances around Olive ''just flying off''

[/quote]

Thank you very much TIGER

• Unknown said:
    Thank you very much TIGER

In fact the situation is fairly similar to that existing now except that no eggs were laid. 

• Let's hope this situation doesn't finish with EJ leaving the nest permanently.

Is there a life history of Olive anywhere?