This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Saturday, 09 May 2015

Yesterday afternoon (according to those on the scene - it was among a lot of detail that we missed due to severe cam problems), the orange-chested male intruder "OC" dropped a fish onto the nest, and after a starving EJ took it away to eat it the carnage began.

In brief!

Anyone looking?

The orange-eyed destroyer.  (I have to say, unfairly I know, that he has none of the "gorgeousness" of Odin the Magnificent.)

EJ returned with the tail-end of the fish, which she continued to eat despite the scene that greeted her:

EJ cleared the ground and proceeded to incubate the one egg that appears to be left intact:

The threat to the surviving egg is great:

OC won't have it easy, he may not even prevail in the longer term - the other intruders are still on the case:

To cap it all after a long and harrowing day, it seemed that EJ was disturbed, probably by the pine marten, just before midnight:

• Harry said:

Oh 'eck, I've made a silly mistake in my comment, saying the Weds fish was 0705 instead of 1905.  Oh well :-/

You lot DO make mistakes too then? You could do better too. I thought at this sad time I would find some like minded people to discuss this with but obviously not. I'm out of here

[/quote]

If any one on here does make a mistake it is readily admitted. Any comment is made to help ensure a totally accurate account of what occurred. One thing you do not want to do is criticise Scylla who is the bastion of this site. It's your choice to  leave. I for one am not crying!.

• Harry said:
    You lot DO make mistakes too then? You could do better too. I thought at this sad time I would find some like minded people to discuss this with but obviously not. I'm out of here.

Have we seen you somewhere before?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Mike... Watching a screen 24/7 and dealing with a visitors centre and school trips are 2 different things... That's the real world..

• Well said, Mike.  There's no need for rudeness on this forum.

• I may be wrong but I believe that the 'record' for the latest date on which an egg has been laid and successfully hatched is 19 May. Before then EJ needs to be fed, get back into condition and allow mating. Sad to say, but I am not hopeful with this timeline.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:

I may be wrong but I believe that the 'record' for the latest date on which an egg has been laid and successfully hatched is 19 May. Before then EJ needs to be fed, get back into condition and allow mating. Sad to say, but I am not hopeful with this timeline.

Is the 19 May a Loch Garten record? 

As I cited earlier  Roy Dennis says that the latest date for eggs in Scotland is 23 May.

In 2012 Threave may had eggs later but that cannot be confirmed. 

• Sadly Mike the visitors and me for one a volunteer hate the disrespect shown to a band of dedicated people...

Well said Harry ..,

A question are you all paid up members..

• Unknown said:
    A question are you all paid up members..

Limpy and I are both paid up members.  I'm hoping to volunteer myself in years to come when I no longer have a dependent teenager at home.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Tiger. No - my info came from Roy in about 2002. Obviously the record has since been broken. But that's still only another 4 days to add. Fingers crossed they progress at all speed ahead.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Clare you will love it...

Sadly not looking forward to my week this year as you can well understand.