Osprey Chat Thread for May 2015

At the start of last month we were asking "Where are all the ospreys?" There were fears that many would not return.

Well things changed in early April and there was a rush of ospreys arriving.

On 2nd April there was great joy when EJ arrived, a bit late but looking magnificent. Then very unusually early on 6th April Odin arrived in the dark something I do not think we have seen before. Then they were off for another breeding season which initially went smoothly except for a pine marten having dug a hole in the nest.

However late in the month the coupled have been plagued by intruders who have made life difficult for them. The last time that EJ suffered a really bad intrusion was 2004 when she was fiercely attacked each morning. This came to an end with an egg being broken. Fortunately history has not repeated itself yet.

The new female at Loch of the Lowes produced a few surprises and quite a few people were convinced that she was Lady. However with time it became clear that she was most likely to be the female who occupied the nest for a week in 2013.

At Dyfi Blue 24 put in an appearance on April 7.  To the great delight of his fans Monty arrived later in the day. Monty was not so keen to entertain Blue 24 this year and when Glesni  arrived early on April 9 Blue 24 was seen off quickly.

Glaslyn has been rather sad this year. It is now clear that the legendary 11 (98) is not coming back. The Glaslyn female has had a succession males (including her son Blue 80) but none of them have stayed long.  Remarkably she has laid three eggs but it has all been rather strange.

At Kielder the news has been excellent. Three successful nests so far and one (nest 2) is a four egg nest. The two tracked Kielder birds continue to do well.

On 6th  April there was the most amazing news from Manton Bay, Rutland. Both Maya and Blue 33 returned. Maya was nearly three weeks late compared to 2014 and many people were very worried for her.

Then later in the month there was news from site B Rutland that the grandson of 3 (97) had attempted to evict grandpa. Well grandpa managed to hold on to his nest but the first clutch of eggs were broken. Remarkably a second clutch has now been laid. A very rare occurrence. 

The tracked birds Blue XD, Green J and Beatrice all made it home safely. 

The Bassenthwaite  chick White 14 has started his migration north. Still no sign that Breagha will do the same but surely he must be on his way soon.

So a greatly transformed situation with lots to look forward to in the coming months. 

• Unknown said:
    Well despite me not being too happy with the SNH at present I do wish this project success and it only needs a second year 03(97) to make things big or a 07(97) who started the ball rolling in Wales.

How strange, Keith.  I got the distinct impression from you post on the Gabfest just yesterday that you approve of neither the translocation project nor Roy Dennis.  Here are your exact words:  For a third year they will flog off ospreys with the help of your friend including some in your backyard at Culbin Forrest to Spain.  I think it's rather inappropriate that you've used the term 'flog off' and I also find it despicable that you responded to such a hideous individual as though he is a legitimate poster.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare - I care about the welfare of a classified bird. Only yesterday a classified bird was euthanised by a friend on my doorstep after being captured in an illegal trap inteneded to kill this bird. I do not approve of the acts that have gone at Strathallan nor the part played by a certain organisation that is there to care for their welfare. I believe my opinion is reciprocated in many ways. I did think from past posts you had a similar objection to this organisation or have you conveniently forgotton.

The translocation - I have no problem with translocation - I feel as posted above other areas would have benefitted in preference to the commercial gain by an organistaion in shipping them to Spain.

The translocation is history none of us had any influence over this or where to translocate - I wish these birds and future birds success at Urdaibai and wish it success.

Without a future translocation site in the south of England you and I will not be alive when ospreys flurrish in the southern parts of England like they are around Rutland.

• Unknown said:
    I do not approve of the acts that have gone at Strathallan nor the part played by a certain organisation that is there to care for their welfare. I believe my opinion is reciprocated in many ways. I did think from past posts you had a similar objection to this organisation or have you conveniently forgotton.

Why would I have conveniently forgotten anything?  I remain very unhappy with the events at Strathallan and I think the whole thing has been handled badly.

Unknown said:
    I have no problem with translocation - I feel as posted above other areas would have benefitted in preference to the commercial gain by an organistaion in shipping them to Spain.

Who has commercially gained?  Ospreys are hardly a saleable item.

I think the future spread of ospreys into other parts of England without translocation projects is debatable.  Wales discussed having such a project - it turned out to be unnecessary due to the success of Glaslyn and Dyfi.  I know that nesting poles have gone up in Essex and on the south coast - I don't know where else but I wouldn't mind betting that other places which have had regular osprey sightings have quietly put poles up to see what might happen.  At Dyfi, that was all that was necessary.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Please can I remind folk of our terms and conditions and to treat each with respect. There has been lot of unnecessary disruption on several threads over the weekend.

• Clare:'Wales discussed having such a project - it turned out to be unnecessary due to the success of Glaslyn and Dyfi.'

Both Glaslyn and Dyfi are unexpected spin-offs from the Rutland translocation. The original Glaslyn male, 11(98) was a translocated male.  Both Dyfi females were Rutland bred. The first chick raised in Wales also had a translocated father. It is possible that Monty was that unringed chick.

North Wales appears to be more attractive to incoming ospreys than Rutland. The big unknown is whether it would have been so attractive without presence of the Rutland birds breeding there.

Hilary J