IMPORTANT: Carnyx question

In order to help Scylla to reply to Peter at Carnyx it would be useful if posters could indicate their preference as follows:

If as many people as possible could indicate which option they think better that would be very helpful.  Many Thanks

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Did you put in the 'phone number?. I tried to copy and paste the page BUT it reverted to the main page. If you put the number in it will tell you what the situation is at LG. It seems that it is the Highlands Enterprise Council who are likely to be the funders and it refers to them rather than BT.

• If you check that page out more indepthly Mike, the upgrade to 'Boat of Garten' exchange has already been announced.... Work on roll-out beginning between now and September 2015

Unfortunately, the big bugbare for the Loch Garten connection, is its distance from the exchange, and the other exchange option(Nethybridge) that may be available is an even greater distance away.

I had even looked into whether there was any other realistic options open to them, ( not that they wont have already checked I am sure), but have come up with nothing yet :-(

• Trying, yes I saw the page you refer to and that is the one I wanted to post BUT it kept reverting to the main page. There are other options as used by other sites but it is a question of funding, amongst other things.

• What are the other options and would it be worth LG running a fund raising appeal as Dyfi do?  Especially as they're no longer having to raise funds for satellite tracking.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Dyfi is a case in point. They had extreme difficulty as you know BUT they overcame it with technology and support. The main issue seems to be having the desire to achieve success. Best leave it there so as not to give Mrs T cause for concern!

• I take it that LG Cam has NOT  been switched to Option #2.  My view seem a wee bit sharper, but not enough so to be  real difference.  And it is still buffering a lot.

• I agree with you Mike that in any difficult situation, it takes someone to have tremendous willpower and perseverance to overcome the barriers, and if there is someone like that, they will usually find a way... LG is remote, but it's not the moon!

Thank you Scylla and Limpy for your facilitation of this issue, especially Scylla! I am not watching this cam as avidly as I once did because of the quality issues, so any intervention/discussion of how to improve it is most welcome!

Chocoholix shiny new 2018 Interactive Osprey & Chick Chart! (with clickable links!)

• Yes, it is feasible to get improved net speed to Loch Garten, but it wouldn't come cheap. I have delved into several possible options, but it is prob too late for a quick fix this year now anyway.....sadly

• Do we know when Carnyx will switch over to Option 2?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I've had no reply to my email to Carnyx last Sunday evening - not even an acknowledgement.  I've checked more than once that I used the right email address.

I can only think that it's holiday time for someone, or that they're working away, but that wouldn't explain it as they can pick up emails.