IMPORTANT: Carnyx question

In order to help Scylla to reply to Peter at Carnyx it would be useful if posters could indicate their preference as follows:

If as many people as possible could indicate which option they think better that would be very helpful.  Many Thanks

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• I think I am ready to vote.

I go for OPTION #2, a better quality picture.

• Although I don't post as often, I do watch quite a bit when I can and I would really like a clearer picture. Option 2 is my preference.

• Option 2 please

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Gill P said:

I'm going to be different and say I'd prefer the first option as it means we don't miss any of the action, even if some of it is a bit blurry.

That's a view I completely sympathise with and it's almost my own.  But the buffering is so frequent, and sometimes so long, that I don't think we'll be missing much more with the gappy option.

On top of that, the votes are overwhelmingly in favour of Option 2, so I intend to tell that to Carnyx.  However, I will ask how inconvenient it would be to change it back if it turns out that we're missing too much - after all, the High Quality stream wasn't given a very long chance.

Anyone who wants to put their objection on the record is very welcome to add it here and it won't be held against them ;-)  We are between a rock and a hard place.

• First of all I would like to thank Scylla on behalf of the Osprey Group for taking for emailing Carnyx and dealing with the problem on our behalf.

Secondly I would like to thank all of you for contributing to the thread telling us what you all would like regarding the cam, so many thanks to you all.  

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

• Well said LIMPY, and thank you SCYLLA for being our go-between.

As I sit here this morning, my cam keeps stopping and starting with the current setting, and sometimes when stopped the sound goes, and sometimes it is there.  It would be wonderful if the RSPB were to be able to push BT for better broadband coverage, or at least made a noise about it.  I am sure the local population would raise a cheer too.  But as others have said, it is a privilege and a joy to be able to watch this nest.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I've told Carnyx that we've opted for Option 2 and added:

Is changing the frame rate a major operation?  Option 2 only got a couple of days' trial, so I wonder if it would be a lot of trouble for you to change it yet again if we find that we are consistently missing too much 'action'?  It is disconcerting when the personnel on the nest changes without anyone having flown off or flown in, and I'm wondering if we will be so firm in our views when hatching time is here.

(As you can all see, it was Limpy who got our act together.  Thanks, Limpy!)

• Having looked at this thread and seen some of the replies I'm pondering whether to write a letter during the winter to BT and see whether they can throw any light on the subject of the poor quality of the broadband and whether they have any plans to improve it in the future.

Magnus Ullman

• Limpy. Have a look at this page and may be follow the links. I put in the 'phone number for the Centre as it didn't like the postcode!.

• Thanks Mike, but it is still not that clear how it will affect LG

so I will still think about writing to them.

Magnus Ullman