Osprey Chat Thread for October, November & December 2013

Continued from Osprey Chat Thread September 2013

At the beginning of September I said that the osprey season should have been all over but it wasn't. Well it is now. Yes the two very late osprey chicks at Dyfi viz. Clarach and Cerist finally migrated on 18th and 20th September respectively. They were incredibly well fed chicks and are now presumably well on their way to Africa. Hopefully they will return to Britain in 2015 but since they are not tracked it will be a very long and anxious wait.

Meanwhile the latest European trans location project to Basque country began to report in earnest. Five of the birds are tracked and four of them are slogging their way through the Sahara as I write.  For details  see  here

The 2013 osprey has been the most exciting for me ever and I have now seen  15 osprey seasons. Maybe it is because more and more people are taking an interest and doing their own little pieces. Surely this can only bee good for ospreys and their well being. 

So all that remains is for us to follow the tracked birds to their destinations and then begin the long wait until it all begins again in March 2014. 

Let us hope we all be ready for an exciting 2014