We are delighted to announce the creation of 100 new homes for wildlife.  Thank's to the kind generosity of a local supporter we have purchased enough materials to make over 100 nest boxes.  The wood has been cut and is ready to be made into snuggy accommodation for the local birds.  Our office, usually packed to the gunwales (or is it gunnels?) anyway, is now a temporary home for quite a lot of timber, even a trip to the kettle is like a 'Crystal Maze' challenge, but the smell is for once sweet (sorry Wez but your socks!), rather reminds me of Christmas and I can't wait to get building. We have, with the help of Portsmouth City Council,  a number of retirement homes and community centers, found some ideal sites for the bird boxes, but If you know of a group or organisation that would like to help or you know of a public space or place that would like to give a box or two a home please do get in touch, there are plenty to go around! (dawn.thompson@rspb.org.uk).

1 down, 99 to go!

Of course as a conservation charity we are not in a position to be able to care for sick or injured wildlife, but when it's on your doorstep we will of course lend a helping hand.  I had the company of a beautiful reed warbler who was uninjured, but just a little stunned having flown into a window of our office block.  It was successfully released after some quiet R & R. 

A couple of days later we were advised there was an injured gannet on the beach at Hayling Island.  As we were nearby we went along to offer some assistance and it has to be said we were excited about seeing a gannet on our home patch.  The bird was clearly tired, unable to fly, but not overly stressed even though it was on standing on the shoreline of a busy public beach.  With little fuss we were able to catch the bird and it happily sat in a large cotton bag as we took it a few miles down the road to Brent Loge Wildlife Hospital, a great facility, used to dealing with sick and injured birds.  A thorough check of the bird revealed a nasty cut under one of the wings so a trip to the vet was called for.  Last we heard the gannet was doing well and enjoying as many sardines as it can eat, all bodes well for a successful release soon.

Thanks to the many people who's concern for this bird probably saved it's life

On a slightly different note I have received some very interested information on the possible whereabouts of 'Bob' the red squirrel who helped us with our pre election vote for nature campaign.  It was suggested he was going to take the wife and kits for a well earned break, but I have it on good authority that he did in fact go solo and the trip is business rather than pleasure.

The Corinth Canal clearly visible in the background

He has been spotted in Athens and Mykonos and was last seen boarding an aircraft at Corfu airport.  As he is little known in these parts his arrival was treated without fanfare, although as would be expected for any ambassador, he was given a private transfer by his very own handling agent.  As his journey continues I suspect so too will his notoriety.  I'm sure our international partners will be delighted to know that 'Bob' is a global campaigner, determined to draw attention to the challenges faced by the natural world both at home and abroad, what a star he is, Go Bob Go!

Thanks to Gary Butcher for these amazing photo's and for helping Bob on his way.....wherever next??