The end of September saw the end of my third 6-month summer spell at Lake Vyrnwy. Each summer I have kept a list of birds I have seen on the reserve. For the last couple of years I have managed a total of 107 bird species each summer, with highlights being Surf Scoter, Great White Egret and Firecrest.

Drake Surf Scoter on Lake Vyrnwy in July 2013 (Photo by Gavin Chambers)

So this summer I have been hoping to beat this total. It was quite a slow summer with few unexpected birds turning up, but enough local rarities like Great Grey Shrike, Lapwing, Starling and a few wader species kept my tally increasing. A badly timed holiday meant I missed out on the Great White Egret but did return to find a nice Black Redstart (see previous blog) which was my 106th species. Having not seen any new species by the 28th September I thought I better take an early morning drive around the lake in the hope of any winter duck species which are currently arriving in the UK for the winter.

Great Grey Shrike at Lake Vyrnwy in April 2015 (Photo by Gavin Chambers)

On the morning of the 29th I took a drive around the lake, stopping at various locations, and to my delight found a small flock of 3 Wigeon just off the dam and later a flock of 20 half way up the lake to get me to the record equalling 107. A mixed flock of 20 Pied and Grey Wagtails on the dam suggested a bit of migration and a Kingfisher at the top of the lake brighten up a misty morning. Sadly I failed to find any further new species by midnight on the 30th September meaning I’ve now seen 107 species each summer for the past 3 years, giving me a grand total of 123 species. Wonder what 2016 will bring....

90 Common Scoters on Lake Vyrnwy in June 2014 (Photo by Gavin Chambers)

I now have the challenge of seeing how many species I can find over 6 winter months, though I have no target to aim for so will aim for as many as possible. Currently, as of 12th October, I am on 53 species so perhaps a target of 80 will keep me keen to get out and look. Highlights so far have been a male Common Scoter on the lake and a 1st-year Lapwing on the shoreline at Hafod, both seen on 11th October and are scarce visitors to the reserve. My target species for the winter is Great Northern Diver, which doesn’t appear to have been recorded here since 1986 but does regularly winter on Bala Lake.

What dreams are made of... A Great Northern Diver (Photo taken in Dumfries and Galloway by Gavin Chambers)

Recent sightings have included a couple of Red Kite over the Tower, Dipper below the dam, Crossbill along the Blue Trail and a Kingfisher, carrying a small fish, being chased by a second over the lake just off the dam. The first winter visitors are starting to arrive with small flocks of Redwing seen in the last few days along with 3 Teal at the top of the lake and the already mentioned Wigeon. However, summer migrants are still hanging on with a family of House Martins only just fledging in the last week and up to 13 being seen lately. A singing Chiffchaff was also heard on 10th October, though they have a tendency to stay later in the year with some also over-wintering, especially in the southern part of the country.

Dipper on River Vyrnwy in May 2013 (Photo by Gavin Chambers)

Previous Blog: Title: Ewe decide