Good morning. We have come to the last day of 2018 so here is one more recent sightings blog post for you:

I will start off with a couple of bits of late news that I have heard on the grapevine since I last blogged. On Monday 17 December, two ravens flew east over New Fen viewpoint which is a good record for here. On Friday 28 December, volunteer Norman saw at least five marsh harriers from Joist Fen viewpoint.

I went up to the Washland viewpoint at lunchtime on Saturday and saw the following:

Meanwhile, further down the reserve, there were three otter sightings over the course of the afternoon. This included one from Joist Fen viewpoint, one from New Fen viewpoint and one along the river. It is very unusual to have so many sightings in a day, but as you will read below, these weren’t the only recent sightings of these elusive mammals.

As the afternoon went on, two great white egrets and a bittern were seen from Joist Fen viewpoint. A peregrine was seen over New Fen North and a kingfisher was seen from Mere Hide.

I took this picture over the visitor centre pond in the afternoon which I hope you like:

Yesterday morning, a mistle thrush was singing its sorrowful song around Brandon Fen yesterday morning. Volunteer Paul popped in and counted three redshanks in front of the Washland viewpoint.

The undoubted stars of the day though were the two otters that were showing well from New Fen viewpoint for most of the day. A lot of lucky visitors saw them and hopefully, some photographs will follow soon!

I bumped into a local birder shortly after I arrived this morning who had counted 82 whooper swans in front of the Washland viewpoint.  I took a walk around Brandon Fen and heard a treecreeper and a goldcrest singing. I also took a couple of pictures in the morning sunshine (!)

Image credits: David White.

I saw two redshanks from the Washland viewpoint and several linnets flew over while I was out and about. Shortly after we opened up the visitor centre, a red kite was spotted hunting over the car park. A dunnock is also singing its merry little song in front of the visitor centre as I type.

Just before I go, it is worth knowing that the B1112 north of the reserve entrance is due to be closed from 8pm on Friday 4 January until 5am on Monday 7 January. This will mean that it will be necessary to access the reserve from the south (.i.e. via either Lakenheath village or the Wangford Road.) Please ring 01842 863400 or e-mail: lakenheath@rspb.org.uk; for more information.

That just leaves me to wish you all a very Happy New Year. The reserve is open at all times as usual. The visitor centre and toilets will be open 9am-4pm today and tomorrow. Normal opening hours, with the visitor centre and toilets being open 9am-5pm, will resume on Wednesday 2 January.

We hope to see you soon!