Hello and welcome to this weeks' blog. How did you get on with the Big Garden Birdwatch? While all the results from everyone who took part are still to come in, it seems to be that in 2021 there was a record turnout, both in people who registered to take part and those that got out a pen and paper on the day- registration is always a little lower as for some people the survey is an impromptu but attractive opportunity to enjoy an hour with nature, or for some older and less tech-savvy participants who may not register themselves online. Whatever the reason, all results are important as they help to build a picture of species' population trends over time, and they also help to highlight wildlife-rich areas of the UK and those where one or more species struggle to live in any number.

I did my survey on 30 January, between 08:30 and 09:30, at home and got: 

19 goldfinches

7 blue tits

5 lesser redpoll

3 each of dunnock, robin and blackbird

2 each of woodpigeon and collared dove

1 each of great tit, coal tit, greenfinch, chaffinch, house sparrow and starling.

I was pleasantly surprised to get nearly all of my regular visitors during the hour, although long-tailed tit, magpie and goldcrest (I have a small Scots pine outside that they like) failed to show up as did my wren, but it was a mild day and he or she is not so conspicuous in warmer weather. The lesser redpolls are an absolute joy and a privilege to have visiting and they do like a little hanging dish of sunflower hearts I put out for them- it means they can avoid the big gang of rowdy goldfinches that take over the big sunflower heart feeder! They are a bit smaller and not nearly as boisterous so it suits them well to share a space with the blue tits! Here's a few photos from the day:

Photo credit: Lesser redpoll (top), goldfinches, a greenfinch and a blue tit visiting my garden during the Big Garden Birdwatch on 30 January 2020. By Heidi Jones.

Now, enough about my garden and onto Lakenheath Fen, where we have gladly welcomed back our crane gang for 2021, or so we hope- on 2 February Dave and Suzanne saw a group of five on the reserve- four adults and one youngster- which is very likely to be our two pairs from 2020- A2 and B2- and the single chick of pair A2. Pair B2 were new to us last year and we suspect first-time breeders, as they didn't get very far in their attempt, as their eggs were predated likely due to being left unattended by inexperienced parents. However, they seem to be back and ready to try again- it is reassuring that both their pair-bond seems to have lasted the winter and they are back on the reserve at the same time as our older, more experienced and more successful pair- A2- arrive back. A couple of the adults were seen chasing the youngster away, which is normal behaviour for parent cranes in February when they return to their breeding territory and are keen for the young from the previous year to make their own way. This territoriality will likely only last for the breeding season; come autumn, the parents are likely to return to the winter flock at the Ouse Washes where they will meet this chick again, and perhaps show a particular affinity for it. Whilst cranes will mix thoroughly with any other cranes in winter, they seem to take a preference to family members- it is thought that during last autumn pair A2 returned to Lakenheath Fen on and off, in the company of a couple of their offspring from a previous year- they seem to recognise one another for years to come!

Our cattle egret- which was with us for around ten days, mixing with little egrets (up to four) in the sheep paddock in Brandon Fen (viewable from the circular Family Trail) does appear to have left the area as it was last reported on 23 January, but it is likely to be hanging around locally and could turn up again soon. Cattle egrets show a strong affinity for livestock- they feed on the insects associated with them such as flies, ticks and the beetles and worms turned up by the churning of hooves, and our bird could easily turn up again mixed in with the same group of sheep or perhaps the cattle or ponies elsewhere on the reserve- it has quite a choice! Our site manager Dave saw a woodcock in Botany Bay on 2 February- these shy birds roost in the poplar plantations by day and will fly out at dusk to feed in fields, ditches and the Fen itself, before returning to roost by dawn. While we haven't had many visitors lately, due to us being in the midst of a lockdown, from our time out and about on the reserve the river (which is very high!) has provided regular sightings of kingfisher, little grebe and both little and great white egret along its banks, as well as stonechat and reed bunting perched in the surrounding bushes. on 27 January I also saw around four water pipit in the wet, marshy vegetation that borders the river on it's southern side, viewable from the riverbank at Brandon Fen. Water pipits join us for the winter (as well as extra stonechats) and can be seen easily from the riverbank footpath on most days.

During the daytime we have seen marsh tit and great spotted woodpecker using the balcony feeders, as well as good numbers of long-tailed tit (up to fifteen or so) which do an impressive job of all fitting on the fat ball feeder at once! Blue tit, great tit, goldfinch, reed bunting, chaffinch, greenfinch, robin, blackbird, dunnock and several siskin make up the rest of the cast. This time last week (27 January) I was treated to a fly-by from a barn owl at the end of the day- he or she was hunting slowly and silently over Frederick the willow dragon and the dipping pond, perching on the posts by the Mound between hunting forays. It is getting to owl time of year, when sightings of barn owl should increase and both barn and tawny owl should become more vocal- something to listen out for if you visit the reserve for your daily exercise walk and feel like coming in the evening, for a change. If you come after dark, perhaps between 17:30 and 20:00, you should hear the whooper swans arriving to roost on the Washland too.

Here's a video Emma took of an otter on the Visitor Centre pond last night (2 February):

Just to clarify the situation on the reserve- we are open for visitors for whom Lakenheath Fen is their nearest area of green space in which to do their daily exercise walks- but for visitors from further afield we kindly ask you to visit greenspaces closer to home instead. We need to keep visitor numbers as low as possible at the moment, sadly. During this lockdown, we have noticed a significant increase in the number of visitors walking their dog on the reserve, which isn't allowed. ONLY the riverbank public footpath can be used for exercising a dog, and it must be kept on a short lead and under close control when doing so. As a result of this surge in the reserve being used to walk dogs, we now have a rota of volunteers on site during busy times, reminding any dog walkers of where they can and cannot walk their dog; we realise how important it is to get this problem under control before the breeding season begins, as wildlife tend to view dogs as predators, no matter how well-behaved or friendly the dog may be. Wildlife will waste valuable energy and resources fleeing from what they perceive as a threat, and that time and energy is diverted away from conserving energy in the winter or from raising and protecting young in the spring. Our reserve has also become a bit of a safe haven over the years from visitors with a fear of dogs or from those with additional needs who find encountering dogs stressful, and we are keen to keep it a dog-free place for these people as well as for the wildlife. We have also bolstered signage throughout the reserve, explaining where dogs can be walked and the routes that are off limits.

As a reminder, during this lockdown:

-   Our car park is open daily from dawn until dusk

-   Our trails and viewpoints are open from dawn until dusk

-   Mere Hide is closed

-   Our toilets are closed

-   Our Visitor Centre is closed, as is our takeaway refreshments service

With thanks for your support and understanding during this lockdown- we know how difficult it is having your movements restricted and being told to stay away from your favourite places, but we hope soon that things can change, and we hope to be able to welcome all our visitors back, no matter how far they have travelled, soon.

Best wishes,

Heidi Jones (Visitor Experience Officer, RSPB Lakenheath Fen).