Good morning and Happy New Year to you all!

As promised in yesterday’s blog post, here is a picture of one of the otters that was showing well from New Fen viewpoint on Sunday:

Image credit Stephen Reeve

Thank you very much to Stephen for sharing this lovely image with us.

Although sadly, there were no sightings of these elusive mammals yesterday, hopefully they are still in the area. Two cranes flew over Joist Fen viewpoint late morning which is a good record at this time of year. At least three great white egrets were also seen over the course of the day.

My father and I did our traditional New Year’s Day ritual and got down to Joist Fen viewpoint for first light. At least 250 whooper swans flew out of roost in front of the viewpoint shortly after first light and two great white egrets flew towards the river. As we walked back along the riverbank, we saw at least two water pipits.

Volunteer John heard a great spotted woodpecker drumming in East Wood shortly after we opened which is a sign of how mild it has been recently. A small flock of siskins have also been keeping us entertained in the alders behind the visitor centre since we opened up.

If you are planning to visit the reserve, please note that the riverbank Public Footpath is now muddy in places. We recommend wearing either walking boots or wellies if you are intending to use this path at present.

Also, as I said yesterday, it is worth knowing that the B1112 north of the reserve entrance is due to be closed from 8pm on Friday 4 January until 5am on Monday 7 January. This will mean that it will be necessary to access the reserve from the south (.i.e. via either Lakenheath village or the Wangford Road.) Please ring 01842 863400 or e-mail: lakenheath@rspb.org.uk; for more information.

Hopefully, 2019 will be a great year for the wildlife that calls the reserve home. You never know, we may even be visited by some rare birds this year (!)

Wishing you all a healthy and prosperous 2019 and we hope to see you on the reserve soon.

Parents Comment Children
No Data