After Rics departure the long Bank holiday weekend started in earnest with a visit to the back of beyond again and white-tailed eagle spotting alas they did not show themselves, plenty of seals, gannets and shags though.

Another visit to the grounds and beach of Breachacha bay was a must on Saturday as the weather was very good.

On Sunday the newly acquired bread maker had to be used and two stunning loaves of bread was the result!

On Monday, which was the best day of the long weekend, a visit to both magnificent Crossapol and Feall beaches was a must, the water was crystal clear but I resisted a swim, a paddle was enough to convince me it was still cold!

Back to work on Tuesday, lots of fun with getting the cultivation equipment up to speed and then removing a cattle grid and digging out all the sand, three tractor bucket loads.

During Tuesday we heard our first corncrake of the year, but still yet to get a view of it.

Another trip onthe island to try and see hen harriers but fog stopped play shortly after, but did find an interesting land feature on the map and managed to locate it, a shelter made of stone.

The working week was finished by the ongoing task of removing the old wire perimeter fence and then trying my hand at dry stone walling, it looked pretty good I thought!

And of course the swamp bridges, another one done, only one very large one to go!

Pat Harle