Well after Chris’ brilliant blog its back to me to give you an update of the goings on at Hodbarrow. The first good day for a wee while now and I was up good and early this morning to have a wander round and a bit of a tidy up.

Numbers of waders are increasing again signalling the beginning of the end of the breeding season for many of our birds. The main birds we have on site are redshank, common sandpipers, oystercatchers and lapwing. Also seen has been a greenshank. The common sandpipers have been seen flying into the channel between the hide and the island. It takes a little while sitting but the characteristic three note call alerts you to where they are before you get your bins onto them. 

Redbreasted mergansers are also increasing. In the winter we have nationally important numbers of these beautiful sawbills  at Hodbarrow. 

Finally our friendly flock of Canada geese have a new friend. As well as the bar-headed goose that seems to have taken up residence there is another intruder ....see if you can find something different in amongst them. Any ideas?? 

Thanks

Mhairi

Ps someone keeps rubbing the sightings board of and I have to start it again. If you have put anything on I’m sorry if it isn’t there the next time you come.