Before I start this roundup, I just want to say that the island is looking stunning at the moment. With the sunny but wet summer that we had last year, the gorse is absolutely thriving! I haven’t seen it looking a bright and full for many years now. Along with the gorse, we have the thrift and sea campion which has added a beautiful touch of colour to the shingle.

Since my last update, life on Havergate Island has been a whirlwind of activity, both for its feathered residents and our dedicated volunteers. Gull numbers continue to grow, and it's wonderful to see many of them already incubating full clutches of eggs. We're treading lightly, minimizing disturbances as much as possible to ensure as little disturbance to the colony. Trust me, navigating through a sea of gulls requires some serious concentration!

Our spoonbills, after a hesitant start, are now doing well. We have already been treated to the sight of chicks amongst the vegetation (which is growing up rapidly)

Of course, the work for our volunteers never slows down. With restricted access to certain areas, we've redirected our energy into maintaining and improving the island's infrastructure. Recently, we completed the much-needed replacement of railings and steps leading to Belper's hide. Our next project? Upgrading the steps to Cottage hide.

Replacing Belper's hide rails and steps