It's been yet another great week at Ham Wall with lots going on. It's not just the wildlife. We've hosted a  course on reedbed management for 2 days, had bug hunts and pond dipping events for families well attended and  and volunteers and I have been busy undertaking reed management in front of the 1st viewing platform (VP1). We've also cleared the cut reed in front of the Tor View Hide on Thursday so look out for species such as water rail and little egret which have been spotted here this week in the open area.

We've also had sightings of otter on both Monday & Tuesday and special thanks go to James Threadingham who has sent in these amazing shots of an otter taken on Monday. The close up shots show the otter tucking into what looks like a rudd. 

Aren't they fantastic - thanks James. 

Come autumn/winter this area can be great for close up views of snipe, teal and other ducks once we wet the area up - although this won't happen until we finish cutting the usual islands in front of the screens and the Tor View Hide (which also can't happen until we finish in front of VP1 - so much to do!!). 

Another benefit of clearing in front of the hide has been that a long stick on the edge put in for kingfishers has been uncovered. Even better news is that a kingfisher has been seen sitting on it on a couple of occasions during the week. We've had other sightings from around Waltons but also from the Avalon Hide. 

More fantastic pictures now. This time these 2 from John Crispin of a juvenile Kingfisher hovering. The dull plumage and white tip on the bill are main ID features which point to a juvenile. Thanks John great shots:

Wow - with all these great photos I don't really feel like I need to say anything (but I suppose I ought to).

The fact that I've been working much of the week in front of VP1 has meant the bird life here has been a bit scarce at times. I've had a buzzard for company following me around in my machine. Perhaps picking up the odd frog or toad which I also see crawling around.  There's been a few reed warblers too and of course black headed gulls and cormorants (often perched on the rails). When I leave though ducks soon return as does the odd great white egret and little egret. 

The great white egrets tend to be seen all over the reserve though but particular focal points include the Avalon Hide and anywhere in front of the 2nd viewing platform (VP2). These and the little egrets are such photogenic birds. This little egret taken by John Crispin was seen having a preen and puffing up its fine plumage before returning to fishing. Thanks John:

Beautiful but sometimes a little bit grumpy as these two great white egrets show with this altercation. Thanks again to John Crispin:

Such grace, such elegance ...........such moodiness. 

No reports of cattle egret at Ham Wall this week (there are still some locally) but plenty of grey herons - often sitting by the main drain you can get quite close on occasions. If you're chasing the more exotic then perhaps try to find the purple heron which has been spotted over on Shapwick Heath a couple of times this week but if you don't catch him then there's certainly a good chance of seeing the osprey. Noah's hide has been the place to go for this. 

Back on Ham Wall the Avalon Hide still offers good sightings of the Marsh Harriers. Both male and female are being seen still carrying food into the now slightly more mobile youngsters (see last weeks blog for photos of the juveniles) while bitterns are also being reported from here by visitors daily. You could also try the Tor View Hide where 2 were seen on Monday.

The Avalon Hide has also been one of the few places that people are reporting bearded tits too. We know they are doing ok as we pick them up in other non access areas but for the public perhaps try here. Next months survey will perhaps give us a better idea of how this season went when we do our annual population count.  For now we'll have to make do with John Crispin's photos of these two juveniles. The orange billed bird is a male while the female has the slate grey bill. Thanks again to John:

Also from the Avalon Hide this week: shoveler, gadwall, mallard, swallows, groups of mixed sand and house martin and reed warbler. 

This reed warbler was photographed by Graham Wagner this week - thanks Graham:

Swallows and martins are still on the move, you've a good chance of seeing them  on a visit and there was even a swift seen on Monday. 

There's plenty of insect life around for them to fed on. Lots of small flies and of course bigger flying creatures. You can still find plenty of dragonflies: migrant hawker, southern hawker, common darter and ruddy darter all about. Here's an archive photo of John Crispin's of Ruddy Darter - lovely shot:

Still a fair number of butterflies too. Most commonly spotted this week must be speckled wood, red admiral and small tortoiseshell but it won't be long for before we see a flurry of peacock butterfly given the numbers of caterpillars that can be seen munching their way through nettles. Here's what to look out for:

You really do need eyes in every direction don't you. While you're looking around the vegetation for these  you might miss the odd hobby which we have seen this week or forget to look over at the owl box opposite VP1 (although given the leaf growth is probably better viewed further down the track or even over towards the Avalon Hide. They have been sat outside the box on at least 2 occasions this week so it's always worth training your binoculars over there on the off chance. 

We had some fairly late breeders this year (not just the marsh Harriers). A pair of great crested grebes are still being spotted with youngsters as this John Crispin photo from last week shows:

and also last week this great shot of a sparrowhawk carrying prey. Thanks John:

Also this week: Whitethroat seen in the car park along with chiffchaff, blackcap, great spotted woodpecker, 30+ goldfinches in a group, 3 buzzards together on Tuesday and a Jay. Thanks to Graham Wagner for his shot of a jay clutching a banded snail taken this week:

Also: 3 raven which flew out of the wood near the Avalon Hide yesterday and 2 more sat in trees opposite VP1 on Tuesday, a redshank flew over the car park calling on Wednesday morning and a snipe was spotted near the Avalon Hide on Monday, there was a willow warbler singing around the Waltons trail also on Tuesday and a treecreeper calling from trees on the main track. 30 Gadwall were recorded from VP2 on Monday when a common tern was also spotted over the reserve. Finally I'll leave you with this shot of a fox seen around Waltons this week. Thanks to Graham Wagner for his photo:

I mentioned last week an event some of you may be interested in. There are still plenty of spaces left so why not book on and give it a try. Here are the details once again below:

Walk and Sketch at RSPB Ham Wall

Join local artists Jackie Curtis and Becky Hughes for a walk and sketch through RSPB Ham Wall. Learn how to capture the drama and spirit of this evocative landscape and the wildlife that makes it home here. All materials will be provided. We recommend bringing a folding camping chair so you can sit and sketch in comfort as well as a camera and binoculars if you have them. 

Suitable for ages 15+ (under 18's must be accompanied by an adult)

Ticket Prices

Adult RSPB member £10

Adult non-member £12

Booking essential. Please book early to avoid disappointment.

All bookings, event information and times are available online through Eventbrite: 
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/walk-and-sketch-at-rspb-ham-wall-tickets-47586521567
(Please note: booking charges apply)

That's it for this week. Thanks again to all who contributed you amazing photos. I mentioned it last week but I'm on annual leave again next week so there won't be a blog I'm afraid. It will return the following week so I'll look forward to telling you more great stuff then.